AAGLASGOW - Meeting Room

Welcome to AAGLASGOW.

AAGLASGOW - Meeting Room
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parents and AA?

Hi.
I love your site and I think there should be more like it on the internet.
I am hoping to get some feedback. I am a parent of 3 children, I was a drunk Mum. I am lucky that I have found AA,mainly because I have the support of my family who look after my Children so I can attend meetings. I have no doubt that I would be Dead today if not for this much needed support and God knows what would have happened to my Babies.
In my area we only have 1 daytime meeting. I want to find out if there is anyone who knows if meetings exsist for parents to attend with thier Children. We have a huge Drink/Drug problem in my area and there are so many people who could benefit form a meeting like this. There are many parents who have a drink problem here, I see them daily, thier young children being dragged around the bars, many have no support. Even if they wanted to go to AA they have no childcare. Unfortunatley there are some members at our meetings who are set in thier ways. Many of them have been around a long time and have no young children themselves. I feel that these members seem to govern what happens in our area AA meetings and although I have had some good feedback, many are afraid to stand up to these members.
To be honest, I do feel these members to be bullying. I do not feel that the message is getting across not only to parents but also to younger people who need help. I have also seen drunks locked out of the groups!
I would love to change some of these things if I can firstly by trying to start an AA daytime open meeting in which mums/dads can bring thier children but I know I am going to get a lot of stick for this.
I have heard great things about AA in Glasgow so this is the first place I came for advice.
Any help would be much apprecieated, can I do this?
Thanks so much
C.xx

Re: Parents and AA?

Hi Cathy,
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

I have been sober and a member of the fellowship for nine years. I have been active in AA and have represented my group at Intergroup and for a short time at Region. I have also attended the last two World conventions first in Minniappolis then this June in Toronto. On top of that i have been to Akron In Ohio and visited Dr Bobs house and meetings in the area. I have visited the World offices of AA in New your, have attended meetings there. Have visited "Stepping Stones" where Bill Wilson lived and where Lois started Alanon. A;so visited meetings in Chicago Tucson in Arizona and was honered to spend some time with Native americans and experience their meetings.
What does all this mean???? Well, when you ask if its ok if you start your own AA meeting - then my experience has taught me that there are many types of AA meetings all over the world, and as long as you follow the principals laid out in the Big Book and dont let pride possessiveness or exclusivity in to the equation, then any meeting that promotes the Program of recovery as laid down in the Big Book, offers hope to the suffering Alcoholic, is run using the twelve traditions and Concepts as its guiding set of principals, and is Higher power driven should be OK

I dont know how long you have been sober or what area you live in, however, in order to start a group it would be a good idea to talk to your sponser about this.
Her are some websites to visit.
http://www.aa.org/
http://www.aa-uk.org.uk/
http://home.capecod.net/~action-12steps/pages/recovery/traditionsconcepts.html
http://www.aamolly.org.uk/
http://www.aa-gb.com/newcomer.shtml
I do hope you get support and guidance for starting up a new meeting.

"Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety."

Blessings
Murdo

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi.
I love your site and I think there should be more like it on the internet.
I am hoping to get some feedback. I am a parent of 3 children, I was a drunk Mum. I am lucky that I have found AA,mainly because I have the support of my family who look after my Children so I can attend meetings. I have no doubt that I would be Dead today if not for this much needed support and God knows what would have happened to my Babies.
In my area we only have 1 daytime meeting. I want to find out if there is anyone who knows if meetings exsist for parents to attend with thier Children. We have a huge Drink/Drug problem in my area and there are so many people who could benefit form a meeting like this. There are many parents who have a drink problem here, I see them daily, thier young children being dragged around the bars, many have no support. Even if they wanted to go to AA they have no childcare. Unfortunatley there are some members at our meetings who are set in thier ways. Many of them have been around a long time and have no young children themselves. I feel that these members seem to govern what happens in our area AA meetings and although I have had some good feedback, many are afraid to stand up to these members.
To be honest, I do feel these members to be bullying. I do not feel that the message is getting across not only to parents but also to younger people who need help. I have also seen drunks locked out of the groups!
I would love to change some of these things if I can firstly by trying to start an AA daytime open meeting in which mums/dads can bring thier children but I know I am going to get a lot of stick for this.
I have heard great things about AA in Glasgow so this is the first place I came for advice.
Any help would be much apprecieated, can I do this?
Thanks so much
C.xx