Return to Website

MN Billiards Discussion Board

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MNBILLIARDS.COM.  MNBILLIARDS.COM IS NOT LIABLE FOR MATERIAL POSTED.

Posts of a commercial/promotional nature will be removed from the forum. This includes posts regarding sales of products, and event or business promotion. To advertise products, billiards events, and businesses on MNBilliards.com, please email eightball@mnbilliards.com for more information on our advertising products.

If you want to discuss shots, there is a really cool tool called a "Cue Table." It allows you to position balls on a table in order to set up shots. It requires a Macromedia Shockwave plug-in.

To check out the Cue Table Click here.

For instructions on how to use the Cue Table, Click here.

MN Billiards Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: VNEA vs BCA Rules

As a BCA National Ref, I'm disappointed to hear this. You CANNOT hit the 8 ball first on an open table. If you DO and pocket a ball...it is an illegally pocketed ball. Ball stays down, table is open and it's ball in hand.

You are contacting an illegal ball...similar to hitting opponents ball first. On an open table, it is the ONLY illegal ball.

This has been the BCA rule for as long as I can remember.

Re: Re: Re: VNEA vs BCA Rules

From playbca.com:

4.9 OPEN TABLE
(Defined) The table is "open" when the choice of groups (stripes or solids) has not yet been determined. When the table is open, it is legal to hit a solid first to make a stripe or vice-versa. Note: The table is always open immediately after the break shot. When the table is open, it is legal to hit any solid or stripe first in the process of pocketing the called stripe or solid. However, when the table is open and the 8-ball is the first ball contacted, it is a foul and no stripe or solid may be scored in favor of the shooter. The shooter loses his turn; the incoming player is awarded cue ball in hand; any balls pocketed remain pocketed; and the incoming player addresses the balls with the table still open. On an open table, all illegally pocketed balls remain pocketed.

I remember at one time that the rule was that you could use the 8-ball on the opening shot and you would lose your turn. It was not considered a foul. I saw this happen in a match between Tony Zierman and Ron Dobosenski several years ago. So, this is why there still might be some confusion about it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: VNEA vs BCA Rules

I saw it in Vegas I think at VNEA - John Schultz shot the eight into the four to establish solids for himself - he would have solids and lose his turn - unfortunatly, the eight followed the four

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VNEA vs BCA Rules

You are allowed to use the 8-ball on the opening shot in VNEA and it is not a foul or a loss of turn.

Of course, the exception would be if you make the 8-ball at the same time, then it would be a loss of game.

Billy B.

Your still my hero Billy!!!!!

Re: Billy B.

Thank You Crack!