Dillman's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Dillman's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John and George Dillman Connection

Hello; my earliest, strongly verified ancestor is John Garner Dillman (b.15 Feb 1816, Bracken, KY; d. 28 Aug 1899 Albright Cemetery, Kokomo, IN. I have some good evidence from the One World Tree website that he was the son of the George Dillman (b.Mar 1781, Northumberland, Northumberland, PA; d.Feb 1879, Delaware, IN)and Mary Rohrer (b. 1872,Lewis Twp. Brown Co. OH; d.24 May 1854, Brown Co. OH). This places him (and me)in direct lineage with Elias Dillmann (b. 06 Jun 1686, Nussdorf, Württemberg, Germany; d. 10 Aug 1758, Ilingan, Württemberg, Germany). The Elias Dillmann pedigre is posted on the Dillman Family Association website. I was wondering if anyone else has made the John Garner - George Dillman connection, and if so, if there is any other resources that I can use to verify this connection? Thx and happy hunting.

Name You Are Researching John Dillman b.15 Feb 1816, Bracken, KY; d. 28 Aug 1899

Re: John and George Dillman Connection

Hi, David. I'm going to be wordy so please bear with me. First, Hi, cousin! I say that because a Kokomo cousin of yours joined our DNA project and closely matches my DNA. He descends from the John that you've listed from KY in 1816 and Nancy "Jane" Hall. This is the first time I've seen any reference to a middle name of Garner. Trust me when I say you can throw away the info connecting you to Elias Dillmann. The info I have is based on what we've collected since the inception of the DFA.
1. The George Dillman that married Mary Rhorer did not have a son named John.
2. Our G2 Haplogroup in the DNA project to which you and I and many others belong to is a different Haplogroup than those that have pretty good documentation connecting them to the Elias Dillmann that many in our group originally believed we connected to. Stay tuned, though, as a confirmed descendant of Elias has agreed to join the DNA project.
3. Hans Georg Dillmann, b. 1724, had four sons - Georg Adam b. 1749 (read the Dillman/Stillman connection), Andreas (Andrew) b. 1753 (my gggggGrandfather), Georg Michael b. 1764, and Cunradt (Conrad)b. 1765 (we still need a descendant of his to join the Dillman DNA project). Based on all of the info we have for the descendants of those four brothers, they don't connect to the John b. 1816 in KY.
4. Hans Georg Dillmann Jr, b. 1724 in Germany, had two older brothers - Johann Michael and Conrad. It is not known if they had any sons. It's possible that the John b. 1816 descends from one of those brothers.
5. It is unknown if Hans Georg Sr, b. 1682, had any brothers. That's another possibility. He's as far as we go, so far.
6. One other clue we have is another "close" cousin of yours that descends from George Michael Dillman b. 1810 in KY. That George Michael descends from a Charles and Clara Dillman and he also matches our DNA. If we can connect that Charles to a nephew or sibling or uncle of Hans Georg Sr, many of us will sleep better!
I would be interested in any documentation you have showing John Garner Dillman and his info. Thanks!
Phil Dillman from the Chicago area

Having read this morning what I typed last night, I should state that the four sons of Hans Georg Jr DO connect to the John b. 1816 in KY, just that he doesn't descend from any of them.

Phil,
Thank you so much for the info. It cleared a lot up about John's origins (and mine). Indeed, Hello, Cousin! I think we met at the first Dillman Mega-Reunion in Indianapolis. I was the one out on the “lost” Dillman branch.

The middle name Garner came from the Ancestry.com-One World Collection. I believe that it is correct, although I can’t say for certain. I will continue to look for the connection to George, if one exists. I’ll need to scrap any direct lineage and look for a cousin or uncle, like you have suggested.

All best to you and your’s. I’ll share anything that I find,

Peace,
David