Dillman's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Dillman's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Researching Greatgrandfather and Grandfather's Family

I am looking to connect with the maternal side of my family. My greatgrandfather is Daniel W. Dillman, born in Nova Scotia; his son is Charles Owen Dillman who was born on January 26, 1907 in Boston, MA; Charles Owen Dillman fathered my mother, Ann Martha Dillman who was born on October 13, 1930. My mother abandoned me when I was 3 years old and I became a ward of New York state. I would like to connect to any cousins, etc. that I may have. Thanks.

Name You Are Researching Daniel W. and Charles Owen

Re: Researching Greatgrandfather and Grandfather's Family

I think our family could have crossed at some point. My great-great grandmother was Janet Dillman, born 1813, in Meaghers Grant, Halifax Co, Nova Scotia. She married Thomas Hollingsworth, had many children in that area, and died in Colchester County, NS in 1884. At least one of her children, David Hollingsworth, moved to Dedham, MA and died in Lexington, MA around 1900. His wife, Agnes Thompson, died in Dedham, MA in 1889.

It is a long shot, but maybe they moved to MA becasue of Dillman connections... Can someone else out there fill in the missing links?

Good luck Melissa!
Linda Wittman

Name You Are Researching Janet Dillman (born 1813)

Re: Researching Greatgrandfather and Grandfather's Family

Melissa,

Would you know approximately when your Great-grandfather was born? In the 1881 Census for Nova Scotia, there were 2 Daniel Dillman's listed (www.familysearch.org). One was 17 (b. ca. 1864, Halifax County) son of Nancy (?) Dillman and the other was born in 1857, Halifax County, son of John and Louisa (?) Dillman. Neither of these two men appear in the 1901 Census for Nova Scotia (www.automatedgenealogy.com) or in the 1911 Census and could have been your Daniel Both these families are from the same area as Janet's.

I also checked the online vital statistics for Nova Scotia, but there do not seem to be any marriage, death or birth records for your Daniel (https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/). There was a marriage in 1874 of a Daniel, widower, who was 52, but he would be too old to be yours.

Rootsweb has a family tree for this family.
The first Daniel is at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=wallacer&id=I37
The second Daniel is at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=uallis1&id=I489
I have e-mailed Wallace Reid, the submitter of this information, in the past and he has shared information.

Many people moved back and forth between Nova Scotia and Mass. as there was much trade going on between the two at this time. It is very common for families to have members on both sides of the water. Economic reasons were predominately why people went back and forth.

Have you found your Daniel in the 1910 Census of Mass? How about the 1900 Census?

Andrew

Name You Are Researching Stillman/Dillman