Dillman's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Dillman's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nicholas (Nickels) Dilman from Montgomery, PA to Ontario Canada

I am looking for information on Nicholas Dilman who I am told was b. 18 APR 1786 in Montgomery, Pennsylvania, USA but I have not been able to find a birth record for him yet. I would like to know who his parents were and about any possible siblings.

Here is the rest of the info I have:
Death: 31 AUG 1859 in Whitchurch Township, York County, Ontario, Canada
Burial: Newmarket Cemetery, Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Marriage 1 Mary M. BOGART b: 11 DEC 1795 in Pennsylvania, USA
Married: 1814 in Whitchurch Township, York County, Ontario, Canada
Children:
Mary Ann b: 9 FEB 1815 in Whitchurch Township, York County, Ontario, Canada
John b: 1817 in Whitchurch Township, York County, Ontario, Canada
Michael b: in Whitchurch Township, York County, Ontario, Canada
Elisha b: 2 AUG 1824 in Whitchurch Township, York County, Ontario, Canada

My line stems down from Elisha.

Any and All help will be greatly appreciated and I will be happy to share what I have with others too!
Thank you,

Beverly Peer Lackenbauer
blackenbauer@frontier.com

Name You Are Researching Dillman - Dilman

Re: Nicholas (Nickels) Dilman from Montgomery, PA to Ontario Canada

Hi, Beverly.

It might be a long shot, but I expect to be visiting Montgomery PA in the next few weeks and intend to dig around a bit to see what I can find. I'll let you know.

Ian

Name You Are Researching Nicholas Dilman

BTW, I have never seen a documented reference to Nicholas being born in Montgomery PA. The cemetery records of his death in Ontario simply say "Pennsylvania, USA. " Is the reference to "Montgomery" anecdotal? William Dilman, the person unsubstantiated as Nicholas' father, lived in Montgomery County and his record appears in Pottstown PA, which is a good 200 km from the little town known as Montgomery, PA, which barely existed, if at all, in 1786. Absent any other evidence, I am inclined to believe that Nicholas originated from Montgomery County, not Montgomery. I am planning on meeting with an archivist at the church in Pottstown to see what the records can tell us.

Beverly, FYI: I have visited the Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Pottstown, Montgomery County, PA to review the original records dating from about 1775 for William Dilman (Willhelm Tillman(n) and his wife Catharina. They record the birth of daughter Catharina in 1778 and son George in 1790, but there is no reference to Nicholas/Nickles or any connection revealed between William/Willhelm and Nicholas. Given the absence of a birth record and the 200 km distance between Muncy and Pottstown, IMHO the evidence does not suggest that William was Nicholas' father or that the Muncy Bogarts would have known the Pottstown Dilmans.

Name You Are Researching Nicholas Dilman

If we wish to speculate, the 1790 census for William Dillman lists 1 male over 16, 2 females (spouse Catharina and daughter Catharina b. 1788) and 3 males under 16. We can only account for 1 of these in church records, George b.1790. So it remains possible that Nicholas was 1of the other 2 but his birth was either not recorded at all, or recorded somewhere else. It suggests to me that William Dilman may have lived elsewhere and moved to Pottstown some time before 1788.

Are you aware that at least one private family tree lists Nicholas Dillman's birthplace as Somerset, PA? I have asked the owner for more information and am waiting for a reply. Cheers, Ian

Name You Are Researching Nicholas Dillman

And I might have found "Uncle John." A history of the Bruedersthal area of Somerset County tells of a Mennonite or Quaker John Dilman who left for Canada in the 1778 - 1783 period to escape religious persecution. If this is Nicholas' uncle, then John Dilman would have a brother, Nicholas' father, perhaps from the Somerset area.

I have only seen the name Montgomery on other family researcher's sites. I have found that most people don't bother to use County when they mean County even though there may by a town and a county by the same name and as you have found they are not always together.

Thank you for your research. Because I can not travel back east right now I really appreciate people like you who are willing to share your findings.

Beverly

I found a referrence to this John in a History Book. He travels to Ontario with other Menninite men to prepare a place to bring their families to. Erbs or Ebbys? I had thought he was probably a relation to our Nicholas but I couldn't find any more info on John to put him with Nicholas.

I will have to go back through my books to find which one I saw it in.

Beverly

I have also seen referrence to Nicholas possibly being from Berks County but once again I have found nothing to proove that. So many ideas, so many places to search and too few clues to go by! :}

Beverly

Hi, I typed in all your information on your form on ancestry.com and found a lot of information, most of it you already know. I could not find his mother. But, it said his father's name was William Dilman. He was born in 1760. It did not have a death year. It said Nicholas moved to Whitchurch,Ontario, Canada when he was 28. I hoped I helped!

Name You Are Researching Elias Diehlman "Dillman"

Thanks, Alex.

I am quite confident that the reference to William Dilman is mere speculation based on an erroneous interpretation of the facts. I have found no documented connection between William and Nicholas.

Got to keep looking!

Ian

you should see if there is anything on ancestry.com. Hope i helped!