Return to Website

Expropriation Law Centre Forum

Welcome to the Expropriation Forum. This is the place for discussion of expropriation related topics.

Expropriation Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Who do I need to talk to?

You could talk to an expropriation lawyer like myself.

I need more information about your situation in order to determine whether I can help. For example, where is your property located, which city is doing the expropriation and how were you notified? If you have been served with documents, I need to see them.

Please contact me by e-mail (jbm@petersonstark.bc.ca) or by phone at 604-736-9811 or fax at 604-736-2859 if you would like me to look into your situation. I do not recommend that you post specific details of your situation on this forum.

There is no charge for the initial consultation. You can decide after the consultation whether you wish to retain my services. I will discuss with you during the consultation how my services will be charged. This is my standard practice for all new clients.

I look forward to hearing from you or anyone else needing assistance in expropriaton matters.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hello all,

My family was notified last week that the city intends to obtain our land in order to build a park. Presently the building houses our family run restaurant business and some rental apartments upstairs. We're not sure how to start dealing with this. What professionals should we engage the help of in order to deal with the negotiations for the land and for the loss of business?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Deb.

Re: Who do I need to talk to?

Thanks Bruce. I'm actually located in St-Jean Quebec. So I'd be needing to look for lawyers and such that are local. I was posting in order to find out 'who' I needed to get in touch with. A fellow has come to the restaurant with a business card that says he's a "evaluateur agree". Not sure what that is in english. And I wasn't sure if we should actually talk to him. That's where I could really use some guidance.

Replying to:

I need more information about your situation in order to determine whether I can help. For example, where is your property located, which city is doing the expropriation and how were you notified? If you have been served with documents, I need to see them.

Please contact me by e-mail (jbm@petersonstark.bc.ca) or by phone at 604-736-9811 or fax at 604-736-2859 if you would like me to look into your situation. I do not recommend that you post specific details of your situation on this forum.

There is no charge for the initial consultation. You can decide after the consultation whether you wish to retain my services. I will discuss with you during the consultation how my services will be charged. This is my standard practice for all new clients.

I look forward to hearing from you or anyone else needing assistance in expropriaton matters.

Replying to:

Hello all,

My family was notified last week that the city intends to obtain our land in order to build a park. Presently the building houses our family run restaurant business and some rental apartments upstairs. We're not sure how to start dealing with this. What professionals should we engage the help of in order to deal with the negotiations for the land and for the loss of business?

Thanks in advance,

Deb.

Who do I need to talk to?

If you didn't hire the "evaluateur agree" he is probably working for the expropriating authority. It is quite likely that the authority would be trying to determine the value of your business at this point. You need to get some legal advice as soon as possible.

Replying to:

Thanks Bruce. I'm actually located in St-Jean Quebec. So I'd be needing to look for lawyers and such that are local. I was posting in order to find out 'who' I needed to get in touch with. A fellow has come to the restaurant with a business card that says he's a "evaluateur agree". Not sure what that is in english. And I wasn't sure if we should actually talk to him. That's where I could really use some guidance.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Hello all,

Thanks in advance,

Deb.

Re: Who do I need to talk to?

No, we didn't hire him. But I believe the business next door might have. I'll have to verify with my father exactly how he came about appearing on our doorstep. Thanks for the advice. I guess I can go through the Quebec bar association to look for an expropriation lawyer?

Replying to:

If you didn't hire the "evaluateur agree" he is probably working for the expropriating authority. It is quite likely that the authority would be trying to determine the value of your business at this point. You need to get some legal advice as soon as possible.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Hello all,

Thanks in advance,

Deb.