Return to Website

Expropriation Law Centre Forum

Welcome to the Expropriation Forum. This is the place for discussion of expropriation related topics.

Expropriation Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gov't Expropriation

Need anyone's help. I saw a tv story on a farmer in Ontario whose farm will soon be expropriated by the Dept. of National Defense (for a JTF2 project). This gent is being offered 25 cents on the dollar for his property. Save hiring a lawyer who can this man turn to for help?

Re: Gov't Expropriation

The farmer need not be concerned about hiring a lawyer, as his costs will be covered. If he is insists he doesn't want to use a lawyer, an acquisition consultant, such as myself could help him. The Federal Expropriation Act clearly states that compensation must be based on market value suggesting there is issue surrounding the highest and best use. Read sections 25 and 26. It sounds like the farm may be suitable for development in the farmers mind, but the government has appraised it as farm land. I would need more details to provide a proper assessment. The authority's appraisal needs to be analyzed. Feel free to have him contact me direct. I worked on expropriation matters in Ontario for seven years.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Need anyone's help. I saw a tv story on a farmer in Ontario whose farm will soon be expropriated by the Dept. of National Defense (for a JTF2 project). This gent is being offered 25 cents on the dollar for his property. Save hiring a lawyer who can this man turn to for help?

Re: Gov't Expropriation

The farmer is Ron Mayhew whose property is located near Ottawa. He has obtained considerable media coverage to date in his fight with the Department of National Defence. For example, a lengthy story ran in the Ottawa Citizen in July of this year which detailed many of his troubles. Legal assistance is definitely indicated but it appears from the Citizen article that Mr. Mayhew has obtained legal help.

One issue that has been highlighted in the coverage is whether the presence of the Dwyer Hill training facility has devalued the Mayhew property. That may be true but if the Mayhew property is expropriated, that impact is normally ignored in determining compensation.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to: