Return to Website

Expropriation Law Centre Forum

Welcome to the Expropriation Forum. This is the place for discussion of expropriation related topics.

Expropriation Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
city selling expropriated land

Greetings, I have a question I'm hoping someone here can answer for me.

I live in Ontario where my wife and I own our own home. We purchased our house from my wife's father about 15 years ago and he had been the owner of the property since the late 1950's. In around 1975, my wife's dad had a portion of the backyard (about 50 ft x 50 ft) expropriated to allow for the construction of a new school. Now the school is being closed down and the city and school board have agreed to sell the land to developers. The entire school site has been zoned for residential construction.

My question is this, since the land is no longer being used for a school, shouldn't we be able to purchase this piece of land back from the school board prior to any development occuring? or would this only apply if the original owner of the property (father-in-law) was still here?

Thanks

Re: city selling expropriated land

You should consult with a lawyer to determine whether you have a legal right to repurchase this property. The answer may depend upon the Ontario legislation applicable when the expropriation occurred.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Greetings, I have a question I'm hoping someone here can answer for me.

I live in Ontario where my wife and I own our own home. We purchased our house from my wife's father about 15 years ago and he had been the owner of the property since the late 1950's. In around 1975, my wife's dad had a portion of the backyard (about 50 ft x 50 ft) expropriated to allow for the construction of a new school. Now the school is being closed down and the city and school board have agreed to sell the land to developers. The entire school site has been zoned for residential construction.

My question is this, since the land is no longer being used for a school, shouldn't we be able to purchase this piece of land back from the school board prior to any development occuring? or would this only apply if the original owner of the property (father-in-law) was still here?

Thanks