Return to Website

Expropriation Law Centre Forum

Welcome to the Expropriation Forum. This is the place for discussion of expropriation related topics.

Expropriation Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Use of Emotional Language in Valuing Real Estate?

I understand that each formal appraisal begins with a “letter of instruction” (What is to be done) that includes “terms of reference” (The scope and sequence of the inquiry). I've also noticed that real estate ads sometimes use strong, emotional language to conceal faults and distort value. (e.g "nice little fixer-upper" replaces "dilapidated old shack") Therefore, I am wondering if it possible for the party requesting the appraisal to use language that might somehow skew the results or are these instructions more like the directions used to describe a scientific experiment?

Re: The Use of Emotional Language in Valuing Real Estate?

How funny - you have caught the essence of creative real estate jargon. You might be more concerned about the comparables that are used though than the language. As in any business dealing in numbers - the numbers can be used in a great many ways. Use of inferiour homes in inferiour neighbourhoods is one of the things to be aware of. You might wish to ask around about who is a reputible appraiser in your community and have an appraisal done before you are aproached.

Re: Re: The Use of Emotional Language in Valuing Real Estate?

Getting an appraisal before you are approached may not be the best thing to do, especially if you

A) Want to be reimbursed for the cost of the appraisal and have not vetted the proposed fee throught the agency, and

B) You do not have detailed plans of the acquistion to enable any appraiser to accuratley estimate the compensation due. Besides a fee taking there may also be r/w's for slope easements, work space areas. etc etc.