Return to Website

Expropriation Law Centre Forum

Welcome to the Expropriation Forum. This is the place for discussion of expropriation related topics.

Expropriation Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Appraisal Valuation Standards

Can anyone tell me what the standard for an underground easement expropriation valuation is?
What I'm looking for is the standard percentage of land value because it's "underground" (as in a pipe)vs on the ground (a road) or above the ground, as in a power line R.O.W. What percentage of market value? I've read everything, and it seems to depend on the mood of the appraiser, or they choose the percentage based on the fact that it makes a nice round number. 10...20...30...40...50...60...70..80...90..100%????
There must be a table of some sort that an appraiser refers to? And when we call an appraiser, how do we find one that will treat us fairly, not use us a stepping stone to get gov't business? And if we do find a good one, do they send the bill straight to the gov't expropriating authority? Or do we have to somehow come up with the money & never be sure if we'll get it back? We're scared to call a lawyer again, because every time we call, it costs us money that we just don't have.
Yep, we're frustrated here in B.C., stuck between a rock & a hard place! I guess that's why people don't fight the system, we don't know how!!!
We appreciate any help anyone can give us. (I don't want to post my name because we'll probably end up having to go public, it might be our only recourse)

Re: Appraisal Valuation Standards

Unfortunately, there is no standard percentage. Each case is decided on its own facts. It depends upon the extent to which the land owner can still make use of the land that is subject to the easement.

Expropriation is a complex process and few land owners have the necessary knowledge and experience to deal on a level playing field with an expropriating authority. Owners usually need independent advice from expropriation professionals to get the best results.

In many cases the cost of professional advice will be more than offset by the additional compensation that can be recovered with the professional's assistance. In addition, owners may be entitled to reimbursement of part or all of their professional costs. A lawyer experienced in representing property owners in expropriations should be able to answer these questions for you.