Return to Website

Expropriation Law Centre Forum

Welcome to the Expropriation Forum. This is the place for discussion of expropriation related topics.

Expropriation Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MTO refuses to divulge expropriation values

You should consult a lawyer for advice about whether the MTO has any duty to disclose purchase prices for properties that it has acquired. However, you should also keep in mind that MTO purchases are not part of the normal market place and the prices paid may not provide good evidence of fair market value.

Re: MTO refuses to divulge expropriation values

Thanks for the reply J.B.,

We understand that the MTO purchase price of adjacent properties may not accurately reflect current market value of that of my parents. However, knowing these prices would at least eliminate a significant disadvantage my parents would suffer in any potential negotiations with the MTO over their property in the future. We plan to have the property professionally appraised by an appraiser experienced with the city and the project to determine fair market value.

We have also considered a lawyer but believe it may be a bit premature to spend money on one at this point. We have just learned that The Windsor Star newspaper will be filing a Freedom of Information request to have the MTO reveal the price it paid for ALL properties bought to clear the way for the Windsor-Essex Parkway project. We will send an FoI request to the appropriate MTO office as well (easy and cheap to do) to inquire about 6 properties on my parents' street.

I am really interested to hear from someone who may have knowledge of any prior event where the MTO may have been challenged over a refusal to reveal purchase prices and what the outcome of that event may have been? This might provide some important precedent.

Thanks again,
Chris