Return to Website

MN Billiards Discussion Board

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MNBILLIARDS.COM.  MNBILLIARDS.COM IS NOT LIABLE FOR MATERIAL POSTED.

Posts of a commercial/promotional nature will be removed from the forum. This includes posts regarding sales of products, and event or business promotion. To advertise products, billiards events, and businesses on MNBilliards.com, please email eightball@mnbilliards.com for more information on our advertising products.

If you want to discuss shots, there is a really cool tool called a "Cue Table." It allows you to position balls on a table in order to set up shots. It requires a Macromedia Shockwave plug-in.

To check out the Cue Table Click here.

For instructions on how to use the Cue Table, Click here.

MN Billiards Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lag for Break?

I think some people are missing the point of the question. It isn't whether lagging is OK or not. It's about making it so that there is a guidline for who gets to decide. As it is written right now for M8 there isn't any distinction on who gets to decide that. I agree it should be more specific. Counting on players to decide on their own could cause conflict. Wouldn't it be easier if the rules state Home team decides or maybe the first player thrown?

Re: Re: Lag for Break?

Actually per Toke's post it seems pretty cut and dry, we should all be lagging for the break per the rules, but 99.99% of the time we choose to skip the rule and flip, or in some crazy instances, rock, paper, scissors it! I think it should go by body wieght, then I would be breaking 99.99% of the time

HELLO! Earth to Angela! Toke just posted the rule!

Re: Re: Re: Lag for Break?

HELLO, Jer. Read my post again. I wasn't asking what the RULES are. I am questioning if they should state WHO gets to DECIDE.

RUDE MUCH.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lag for Break?

Hi Angela,
I think the interpretation of the rule would suggest that there is no decision to be made by just one person. As far as the M8 rules are concerned, you will lag for the break.
In most cases, however, this rule is disregarded and people just want to flip a coin. If one wants to flip, and one wants to lag, you will lag. Doesn't matter which person wants to do which one. You would go by the rule book at that point.
I hope that helps.... I don't want to get yelled at too.....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lag for Break?

Hi Ayman, thank you for the polite response. And yes it was helpful. My other question then is why do people who want to lag even ask then? Just say, "We're going to lag" to their opponent. Why imply they are even giving you a choice?

Oh and don't worry, I wouldn't yell at you. I save that for those who chose to post negative insulting replies.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lag for Break?

You're right, if you're playing M8 and you want to lag, you don't have to ask. However, most people just assume they're going to be flipping, since the lag is rarely used anymore. In that case you would just tell them you want to lag. I haven't played M8 in a while now, but when I was, I don't think I had lagged for years...
Now please, stop asking so many questions, or I'm going to start answering everything with "just because". ... and if you still persist, I'm going to answer with negative insulting replies.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lag for Break?

BWAHAHAH!

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?

Alan,
How about 5 out and the breaks? I probably wont win though so idk.. lol i havent played much pool lately just on friday. ty for the happy bday:)

and by the way ill stick with rock paper scissors :)

The flip is hip! Lags are for fags!!
Stich

This whole thread is too funny... almost clicked out a few times... The point is, people don't want to lag because of convenience. I see more higher rated players wanting the flip over lower rated wanting to lag. Why, I don't know. The flip gives them (lower rated players) better odds to break. Some places I play have only one table and the people we play are lower levels, so it turns out about 1/3 of the time that it's a "discussion" who's is closest. Sorry, but when I live down south and am playing in a Minneapolis bar, I don't care who breaks first. LET'S PLAY! If I'm playing well, I win. If I'm not, I don't. Makes no difference who breaks. If it's a tournament, that's a different story. Whatever the rules are, that's what it is. Period. My opinion (what I deal with) and that's all.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lag for Break?

When playing in scotch doubles tournaments when my daughter was 11 we had a unique twist on flipping for the break. She was a gymnast and I would have her do a no hands back flip and challenge the other team to duplicate it or we would take the break. We always got the break. But it was a good thing we never came up against Cindy Anderson or she would have taken the challenge. I am not sure if we would have lost the break or whether we would have been taking Cindy to the local hospital.

You were so LUCKY your opponent wanted to flip on Sunday..... I tried to get them to lag!!!!

Thanks Deb,
I even practiced a couple lags. I was ready!
Your such a good team-mate!

this topic is kinda funny. i agree with the "leagues vs. tournament" thing.

one time... (not even in band camp) i was playing a relatively low rated player in M8 OPEN and they wanted to lag and they said they just wanted to do it for practice.

so... i fired my lag right in the pocket.