Return to Website

MN Billiards Discussion Board

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MNBILLIARDS.COM.  MNBILLIARDS.COM IS NOT LIABLE FOR MATERIAL POSTED.

Posts of a commercial/promotional nature will be removed from the forum. This includes posts regarding sales of products, and event or business promotion. To advertise products, billiards events, and businesses on MNBilliards.com, please email eightball@mnbilliards.com for more information on our advertising products.

If you want to discuss shots, there is a really cool tool called a "Cue Table." It allows you to position balls on a table in order to set up shots. It requires a Macromedia Shockwave plug-in.

To check out the Cue Table Click here.

For instructions on how to use the Cue Table, Click here.

MN Billiards Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Chance of a Lifetime for me! Please read!

I have to agree with "Get A Job."

He might be a young nice man but it is ridiculous that he comes on here and begs for money. If he wants it bad enough, he will earn it. Economics is not that difficult of a degree. He probably has quite a bit of free time at school. If not, he can give up other things if he wants this bad enough.

Now for the real reason I can't stand **** like this:

March 07: Gambling: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=91354&page=4

April 07: Begging for money: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=60040

July 07: Gambling: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=1313934#post1313934

December 07: Gambling Online: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=83497

January 08: Gambling online: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=86938

Now do you see a point. The last time he was asking for money, he was also gambling. SO maybe you can see a difference between want and need. If he wants to go, maybe he should earn it. Why sit here and ask for handouts. It has nothing to do with what kind of person he is. It is the facts and the principle behind it.

Money well spent Natalie. I do vent on here quite a bit, but quite often, I have reasoning behind it!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chance of a Lifetime for me! Please read!

I will try some luck with economics:

There are 7 days in a week with 24 hours: 168 hours

Let's say you are taking 18 credits. Now when I attended school, I have heard to play for 3 hours per credit per week for class, homework and studying: 54 hours weekly

Say if you sleep 8 hours a day (seems high): 56 hours weekly

Say if you take 3 hours day for personal hygience and eating, which seems high for a guy but this is only calculations: 21 hours weekly

Let's just set aside 10 hours a week for misc: 10 hours weekly

With some simple math: 168-56-54-21-10 allows for 27 hours. As stated before, some of those numbers might be high allowing for more free time!

Now, lets say you take 27 hours a week and go to a job and make $8/hr. $216 gross income. Lets say you lose 30% for taxes. $151.20 net income.

If you open a capital one Money Market account, you can make 2.08% interest. If you shop around, you could probably find higher.

Should you start putting the money in 1/1/09 by 5/7/09 you would have $3037.34 dollars.

Now this was only assuming 27 hours of work a week. If you are a higher level college student, this might be difficult. So should you work more hours of find a job like Menards that even has bonuses for working weekends, you could even make more! And you would probably be putting more of hours in on the weekend.

Lets try Menards $11/hr on weekend * 16 hours + 11 hours @ $9/hr weekdays = $275 gross = $192.50

This would give you $4369.19 by 5/7. Now say if you worked 35 hours a week, you would probably be right there.

Assumptions: this didn't take money out for gas to drive to work as I realize that is an expense. I also assumed you didn't spend any of the money you earned. I say this because it is all more money than you have right now!

I could go on and on...but it isn't rocket science. Pretty simple.

Also in college, they love to give money away. Well maybe not give but borrow. So take a student loan (and yes they give them to anybody so there is no excuse there) and apply that money for the trip.

As stated before, it is want versus need. If he wants this bad enough, there are just some things you might have to give up. That is the way the world works!!

Re: Chance of a Lifetime for me! Please read!

Tanner posted a nice article about his trip. Some people do know him in this area including myself, so I am sure that is why he made the post here. It is your CHOICE to give or not give anything to him. There is no reason to be mean about it. I get asked for donations all of the time and I am sure that you do too.

And, it is not true that everyone can get student loans and other assistance when they are in college. My son just finished college in May, so I know that you can't.

Re: Re: Chance of a Lifetime for me! Please read!

My whole reason for jumping all over this is the fact that the last time he was asking for money, he was spending money in a way he shouldn't have been. Maybe the people that might consider donation should know that!

I can pretty much assure you that you could have gotten an unsubsidized loan. You just might not have liked paying that interest right away nor like the interest rate you get.

Now not everybody might qualify for a Grant or a Subsidized loan.

Josh, do you really have nothing else to do than worry about someone else spends their money? either you help DONATE (which means by the way you have a choice to give or not) or keep your opinions to yourself cuz I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of reading your thoughts.

Tanner good luck on your adventures, I wish I could donate but its not in the cards for me.

Everyone else, have a wonderful new year!!!

Josh,

Seriously? What's your deal? If you even read what he posted then you would see how busy he is at school. He's not 'begging' for handouts, he's asking for donations. If you didnt want to donate then just dont say anything at all. It seems like every time I read a post by you you're either being one of two things. Negative or 'attempting' to be funny. So i'm telling you right now that you're a loser. And if you're just going to come on here and be a jerk...then just shut up.

I read his post on here and on another site. Obviously you didn't attend college because you have absolutely no idea the free time a college kid has. I graduated with one of the most difficult degrees to earn. I did in 4 years and I know the free time that comes with being a college kid, even with a tough degree.

Most of my posts on here probably are negative, or attempting to be funny. First off, I don't come on here to post, "oh nice finish at the tournament." Or happy birthday.

I don't need to come online to say the tournament was fun, or ran properly, or the director actually added all the money they were supposed to and didn't take extra out. I do that in person. Most of the people that come on here to bash or whatever sit behind the computer with no identity. I can sign my name to everything and always will argue my point.

The problem with the Internet is the same thing with High School. It is all about the cliques. You sit in your group and never present your own ideas. I could give a **** what anybody online thinks that wouldn't come up and say it to me in person. The people that know me through pool know the true character. **** straight I will come out here and be negative, in hopes that something might change. But more often than not, it won't. The rest of you, instead of venting, can just allow it to put salt on the wounds.

The other reason I typically post negative crap on here, is that I find out the truth behind a lot of things. It is too bad the rest of you don't do that as well. There might be a lot of things that surprise you!

It is unfortunate, but I guess that is the way it is.

I realize why I didn't post on here much anymore. The true pool fans have already moved on to the new site, or at least the ones that actually know about the game and try to proceed with developing their game.

Josh -

I don't have a problem with what you had to say, but how you said it. I would have taken you more seriously if you said it in a better way. I think that it is fine to express your opinion on here if you do it in a different way.

I thought that it was very difficult to go to college and work part time. Maybe you were one of the lucky ones that didn't need to spend a lot of extra time studying.

You're right. Everything you say is justified because "you tell it how it is." Because "we" dont know as much about the game as you.

This post was about helping out a young man pursue something great. A guy with the "hardest degree to earn" should be able to respect what he is trying to accomplish. But instead you decide to be a dick.

I bet that makes it easier for you to sleep at night knowing that you exposed to everyone how easy it is to make money. So Tanner is obviously begging. Good job. You really did make a great great point here. I cant imagine coming to this site and actually giving my money away to this...this...thief. Thanks for pointing it out to me. You must be be very smart and not much gets past you, eh?

Hey Clique. Ever think maybe a billiard forum isn't the best place to ask for money??? While were at it does anyone want to throw some extra money my way so I can pay my mortgage and afford health insurance??

In this economy asking for money is going to strike a nerve with somebody. Come on!!

What happened to Minnesota Nice??!!

Wow. Just wow. I can't believe what I'm hearing here. Can't we just all get along? I mean, yes - times are tough - and most of us can barely pay our bills let alone helping a college student in persuing a once in a lifetime opportunity - but just tell him good luck and go on to the next thing!

Seriously - why do we feel it necessary to belittle him and act in such a cruel, non-humanitarian way? There's no need to air his dirty laundry, or make him feel like crap for trying to find the goodness in fellow people's - fellow POOL PLAYER'S - hearts!

If you can't or don't want to help Tanner, fine. Just tell him sorry, but good luck - or simply say NOTHING! This forum isn't hinging on weather or not you post a reply if you read the thread - just click out of it and go on your merry way. Maybe some of you are irritated that the poor economy is affecting you, so why not take it out on someone else to make you feel better about your situation? I don't know...

This is a young pool player, one of our "family", and it ashaming that this is the way he's treated in our community.

Tanner - I, for one, am not in the position to help you out. I wish I could. I thought your post was very well written, and was impressed that in the age of texting and IMing, that there IS youth out there using the english language correctly and as it's intended. Bravo! As far as the negative replies - I hope you can ignore them and realize that it's their issue, not yours. You weren't holding a gun to anyone's head demanding money, you were simply explaining your situation and if anyone was able to help, that it would be appreciated. I wish you the best of luck in your adventure, that's something most people will never have a chance to do. If you ARE able to go, I'd love to be included in your reports and photos, etc. if you'd like to add me to the list!

Re: What happened to Minnesota Nice??!!

Well said. and thank u...Toni, June, and Chad. I don't personally know Tanner but I have seen him at various SD tournies I've worked, and he seems to be a likeable kid. I also know that one of my best friends on the planet, Missy Benson, also had a chance of lifetime last summer,and with help from some very gracious friends and family, including those in the pool community, was able to raise enough money to go on a trip to Africa. Missy is older than Tanner and has been to Europe and Mexico, but said that her trip to Africa was totally life changing!
I don't know you Josh, and you do seem like a relatively learned individual, but I don't get why you have a problem. Tanner isn't asking for help to go to Oktoberfest, or some other party in Europe. He's hoping to better understand cultures that most Americans know little about. If you don't want to contribute, that's your choice, but what are you trying to gain by tearing him down? You just come off like an ignorant ******
I'm not in very good spot either, Tanner, but shoot me an email and I'll try to see what I can do.

Chance of a Lifetime for me! Please read!

Well Jessica and I know Tanner. I think he is a great kid. It is partly because of the economy that he is probably asking for alittle help. It is very hard to get a loan at the moment without very good credit and at his age how can you expect him to have alot of money. I think it took alot of heart to get on here and ask for help, there is nothing wrong with that. I did the same thing when I was 19 and had only $80 to my name. I have never forgotten the people who helped me then. It's not like you have to give him money, but if you can afford it, why not help him out. So Tanner, I hope you have a great trip and I expect to get a few updates while your gone. My check is in the mail bud & have a great trip?