Return to Website

MN Billiards Discussion Board

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MNBILLIARDS.COM.  MNBILLIARDS.COM IS NOT LIABLE FOR MATERIAL POSTED.

Posts of a commercial/promotional nature will be removed from the forum. This includes posts regarding sales of products, and event or business promotion. To advertise products, billiards events, and businesses on MNBilliards.com, please email eightball@mnbilliards.com for more information on our advertising products.

If you want to discuss shots, there is a really cool tool called a "Cue Table." It allows you to position balls on a table in order to set up shots. It requires a Macromedia Shockwave plug-in.

To check out the Cue Table Click here.

For instructions on how to use the Cue Table, Click here.

MN Billiards Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is Gambling the only way to get better at pool?

I don't know what other players around the world think... so I'm curious. I noticed that most of the best players in the world gamble quite a bit, for huge amounts of cash. It's just crazy to me. I never gamble and I learned the game just based on a lot of practice and tourneys, but will my game jump up a level if I start to bet cash and play long sets? I personally have no clue. Though entertaining to watch it all just seems so stressful to me. But do you all think that it helps improve people's skill on an all around basis? hmmmm....

Re: Is Gambling the only way to get better at pool?

Gambling brings out your best game. Well, maybe over time. It will help you defeat the nerves that can come with pool.

I am not going to say that it is the only way, but yes it definitely will make your game improve much faster. Knowledge is the other aspect that comes with becoming better in the game. If you don't know what you are doing, nor have any idea what is going on in the game, you aren't progressing.

Re: Re: Is Gambling the only way to get better at pool?

We had this discussion before...if i remember right. Could it help your nerves? Probably. Is it going to help your skill level any more than practicing and working on your game. It's just paying someone better than you to give you lessons.

Practicing and discipline makes you better at pool, just like anything. If you can afford to lose, gambling may be a way to practice...and learn from those who are stronger than and you and enjoy taking your money.

Happy New Year....

Re: Re: Re: Is Gambling the only way to get better at pool?

All depends how much the money means to you. If you have $10 in your pocket and your playing for a $100 you will quickly find out how solid your game is.

The stress you feel when you play is only put on by you and you alone. If money means nothing to you then playing for money will do nothing to you. If playing for your team and doing well in front of your peers means something to you then put yourself in that situation as much as possible to improve. You really find out how good you are when your uncomfortable.