Return to Website

MN Billiards Discussion Board

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MNBILLIARDS.COM.  MNBILLIARDS.COM IS NOT LIABLE FOR MATERIAL POSTED.

Posts of a commercial/promotional nature will be removed from the forum. This includes posts regarding sales of products, and event or business promotion. To advertise products, billiards events, and businesses on MNBilliards.com, please email eightball@mnbilliards.com for more information on our advertising products.

If you want to discuss shots, there is a really cool tool called a "Cue Table." It allows you to position balls on a table in order to set up shots. It requires a Macromedia Shockwave plug-in.

To check out the Cue Table Click here.

For instructions on how to use the Cue Table, Click here.

MN Billiards Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: blame the players not the directors

Pool is not like Golf, Darts or Bowling; it isn’t easily handicapped.
With erik’s (Erik”s) logic, we can add another layer of subjectivity to our beautiful game.
Players should be able to earn ($) there way up through the divisions.
I have to play them in the lower levels because I have the knowledge of a “AA” player and the ability of a “C” player.
I can be fun to annoy them with my knowledge as the beat me with their ability.
Watching the smooth mechanics pushes me to continue to endeavor to smooth out the inconsistencies in my stroke.

Re: Re: blame the players not the directors

I would say blame both parties, the player for signing up for the lower division and the director for allowing them to play in a lower division.

I agree that a "B" player is someone that is just starting out and limited knowledge of the game. I would say Dale Jr, should have been placed in the "A" division with his experience and previous tournament play.

Dale Jr went 2 and out at the BCA. He's in the right division (B). He placed 2nd in the M8 singles last year which is a handicapped tournament. B is where he belongs.

Sure glad I'm not in the middle of this anymore

Sure glad I don't have to be in the middle of this, it's so nice to just go and play in tourneys.

Re: Re: blame the players not the directors

It's kind of the chicken or the egg syndrome. Are divisions handicapped to try to level the playing field based on known ability or does a person have the right to play in lower divisions until they have placed high enough to show their ability.

I can see it from both perspectives honestly. Until we answer that question though we will struggle with it tournament afetr tournament and year after year.

Dale jr. is a good kid and is definitely improving his game. It won't be long before he's up there.

Re: Re: Re: blame the players not the directors

I'm sure he wasn't the only one that didn't belong in the B probably. BUT, everyone deserves to start in the lower class and earn there way out. I know people that are better then me and are still in the B division. They just run into good players or not so good players playing good. Just because someone plays good pool doesn't mean they'll win a state tournament. And if they do, then Good Job. It wasn't easy I'm sure. He'll be in the A now next year so one less to complain about. lol

Re: Re: Re: Re: blame the players not the directors

There's a distinction between some people being borderline and some way over the top. The ones that are obviously over the top should be placed immediately in a higher bracket, but that's just my opinion. I think otherwise, it's detrimental to the entire tournament and you run the risk of losing players. I remember only a few times this happening, but it caused an uproar.

I remember someone crying about how bad he played and how he cant compete with the masters anymore and needs to play in the AA.... then robbed the turny as a AA

Father like son ?