Return to Website

Observation Squadron Sixty Seven
VO-67

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Observation Squadron Sixty Seven
VO-67
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
VO-67 Navigators

I was the pilot of a Navy A-7 from the USS America on 31 May 1968 and was shot down following a second bomb run near Tchepone, Laos. After forty harrowing, exciting hours on the ground, I was finally injured by a CBU from an Air force F-4 just prior to being rescued by Sandys and Jollys. I was taken to NKP and after 14 days of recuperation I was given new flight gear by the VO-67 CO and then flown by him to Danang where I caught the COD back to USS America. One of the VO-67 navigators was a former classmate of mine in the training command and he took me into town for a water buffalo steak the night before I left NKP. Are you still around? If so, sap me an email.

I have since written a book about my mission, my ground evasion, and the exciting multiple attempts for rescue by the Sandys and Jollys. I also give credit in the book to VO-67 for the gear and ride to Danang. The book is just out---THE RESCUE OF STREETCAR 304. The sub-title is "A Navy Pilot's Forty Hours on the Run in Laos. If you want to relive your "hard air time" over Laos, then read this book,and you can view further details at the book website, www.kennywaynefields.com. It's available in stores and on-line. I await a message from my navigator friend... Streetcar 304