Return to Website

The NAGNFC Gary Numan Forum For the 21st Century

This is the one and only NAGNFC Forum to let your fellow Numanoids know how you feel! Throw away your inhibitions and let us all know what's on your mind!

The NAGNFC Gary Numan Forum For the 21st Century
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Your thoughts on the Mark Sobey Debate?

I have no idea what this Mark Sobey debacle is all about. If it's a Facebook or Twitter thing, then I will have missed it since I refuse to participate in those vacuous meanderings.

However, if someone has taken a swipe at Mr. Napier or has proffered an opinion on Numan which is less than total and unmitigated flattery, then I could offer up a few points.

Jim, if I may be familiar, does rather set himself up for criticism. I concede that running and maintaining a website requires much work and dedication and I respect that having run one of my own in the past. However, much of the content is blatantly lifted from Numan's own official site which to me, seems rather pointless. A fan site is never going to be THE go-to place for latest information. The artist's site will always trump the fan site. Jim does provide information not readily available elsewhere gathered from his network of sources and that's fair enough. Well done. However, there's an element of content which is all about Jim himself. "When I spoke to Gary about...", "When I was back stage with....", "Gemma mentioned to me....", etc. etc. etc. I find the continual focus on Jim himself quite nauseating. My mistake for believing the site is about Numan, not Jim in relation to Numan. Publishing your tour flight itinerary recently was the last word in arrogance. What was the message here? Look at me and how much money I have to afford all these flights and the time off work to do it? Seriously, you need to tone it down. Good for you if you have the means to follow Numan everywhere, but there's no need to flaunt it, is there?

More to follow...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply! And I appreciate your honesty. I'm sorry you feel I am flaunting a lifestyle. Simply put, Gary can't tour for much longer can he? The man is pushing 60! Seeing him in concert trumps DVDs by a mile. As I'm sure you know, the experience of seeing Numan in a live setting surrounded by your Numanoid peers cannot accurately be described, but has to be experienced. True, the majority of people cannot go to every show, this is why I've received incredible feedback when I post the tour journals from the shows (Riveting Chapters), and report from the shows with news from the musicians, exclusive photos and my misadventures. A cursory read of the Riveting Chapters will reveal the rock and roll lifestyle is less than glamourous.
How should I word a report or post if Gary tells me what his favorite Splinter song is, or if Ade tells me about a film project they're working on, or if Gemma tells me they are moving to America, all exclusive news at the time, not ripped from Gary's fansite.
I also report on tour news before anyone else. Just ask Tim Muddiman next time you see him. He just asked me "How the **** do you know all this?" I don't reveal my sources for fear of compromising them, but let's just say they've been accurate so far.
Enjoy the Reports from the Road from Gary's three Los Angeles shows starting tomorrow! My guess is that more fans will appreciate having detailed news and exclusive pictures from the show than suffer their absence.

Best wishes,
Jim "The Machman" Napier
NAGNFC

P.S. For the record I have had requests to post an "About Me" page to the NAGNFC. Not only would I feel it to be too much, but I like retaining an air of mystery about myself. I did spill a little bit on Gary's "Android in La La Land" movie in Los Angeles last month.
During last month's West Coast shows, I also received requests to include my pictures during my travels so they "could be there with me" in spirit. The feedback I've received about my reports is that the NAGNFC Readers enjoy living the tour vicariously through my misadventures. You are truly entitled to your opinion and I am saddened you feel that way.

Best wishes,
Jim "The Machman" Napier
NAGNFC

No need for me to personally castigate you Steve. Luckily, opinions are not facts. :-)

I took the high road and deleted the actual conversation I had with Mark, who instead decided name-calling would serve to help me see his side.

I did mention on the site that my last rant about a fan was three years ago. I was never really sure if I should've posted my feelings about the individual. My site is one of goodwill, and positive vibes to outweigh the glut of negativity out there from people who (sometimes) just like to wind up others.

It wasn't until the aftertour party upstairs at the O2 after the last UK Pleasure Principle show that Gemma came up to me and thanked me for looking out for Gary. Since then, I'm surprised I hadn't done it more...

Best Wishes,
Jim "The Machman" Napier
NAGNFC