Return to Website

Genevieve Message Page

Please say "hi" and share your thoughts with other visitors to the "Genevieve" site. Your comments and questions about "Genevieve," the London-to-Brighton Run and this web site are welcome and will be acknowledged and answered!

Genevieve Message Page
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hauling Like Brooligans

Hi Don

Not been able to listen to the audio interview yet - got to get some headphones asap. You are absolutely right though. Dinahs acting is just so good that it is 100% believeable.

Yes I will be going to the run in November so hope we can meet up. Id like to meet Alan as well as I am fascinated by his detective work.

I will dig out the Australia photo this weekend and send it to you - hopefully you can include it.

Sorry to hear about the problems with your car. My car falls a bit short of VCC standards too - its a 1958 Triumph TR3a though I have to confess it is not my daily driver. I use a 1990s Ford for that though working in London I use the tube a lot.

Regards

David

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi David!

I felt a bit like Alan McKim this evening, as the brakes on my "old" car... a 1962 Mercedes 190sl (far from "old" by VCC standards) decided that they were going to lock in the "on" position about ten miles from home. If it had been the London-Brighton, my entry would have been a casualty. But I made it home, and she’s still smoking from the wheel wells out in the driveway right now.

I too am looking forward to Alan Trevennor's update on his locations piece. He is a dedicated detective and a solid writer/photographer. It's a pleasure to have his work here on the site. I got to meet Alan after last year's Run and hope to be able to spend more time with him this November at the 2001 Run. Will you be in attendance?

However fuzzy, grainy, or poorly lit your Australia photograph is, I'll bet it's still interesting, and I'd love to see it.

According to Dinah Sheridan, the 'hauling like brooligans' line was in the script.(Dinah reports this in the audio interview that you can listen to here at the site). Dinah is asked the question frequently - whether it was her slip or the author's intent, and the line *was* in the script. It's a tribute to Dinah's acting that so many people think it was a real flub.

As to your idea of a 'favorite scene' thread, I think it's great, and I'm going to post another message to start that thread. I had to think for a couple of moments, because there are so many great scenes, but I quickly realized which is my absolute favorite.

Best -

Don

Replying to:

Hi Don

Yes, the shooting location pages are brilliant and I'm looking forward to seeing the update from Alan. I had longed to know the location of the McKims house and when the update came through I was fascinated. I must confess I had not been convinced about the earlier possible locations as they didn't seem quite right. I should imagine that the McKims house would now fetch £750,000 a long way from it being the house of a young couple in the 1950s.

Regarding Genevieve in Australia I have one photo at home of me sat in her whilst on display in Australia. I was exceptionally naughty, crept under the barrier while a friend took a quick picture. It is a bit grainy and poorly lit as the flash wasn't strong enough - a cheap camera - a legacy of being an impoverished traveller. I will dig the photo out, get it scanned and send it to you.

My visit to Australia was November 1986 (the second week I think).

Perhaps we could have a poll of the favourite scene in Genevieve. As much as I like the plumpet playing sequence my favourite has to be the hawling like broolingans scene. I would love to know was this a mispronunciation by Dinah during a shot or rehearsal that was incorporated into the film or was written that way from the start. It almost seems too good to have been deliberately scripted.

I love the bit where Geoffrey Keen as the Motorbike Policeman recites the list of misdemeanours but then proceeds to let them off - in case they thought he wasnt being fair. Priceless !! It is reminiscent of a scene in The Titfield Thunderbolt where the Police arrest Mr Valentine and Dan who have stolen a steam loco and drive it down the high street and through the park before crashing it (after various bits of mayhem). the Copper in that sequence recites a list that must be at least 20 offences long including such gems as "causing sparks and / or ashes to be emitted onto the public highway".

One of my pleasures is spotting "bit players" in films. In Genevieve the newsreel cameraman on top of the shooting break in the Moor Park sequence had earlier appeared in the classic ealing comedy "Hue and Cry" (1947).

Looking forward to the next update

Regards

David

Replying to:

David, thanks for the kind words.

It's the usual story... I went looking for information about "Genevieve" on the web, couldn't find any, and decided that I might be able to learn some of the basics of web publishing as well as uncover some information about my favorite movie by "giving it a go."

When the page first made it up onto the Internet, I had perhaps a paragraph's worth of information plus the cast list from The Internet Movie Data Base. It has most certainly been the help and contributions of others that have built the site to its current size and scope, and many of the contributors (credited on the home page) have become fast friends.

The "Shooting Locations" portion of the site is entirely the work of Alan Trevennor, who has done a brilliant job and, with some detailed help from Dinah Sheridan, is currently revising and updating the photos and information. The continuity errors are Alan's work, too. Just want to give credit where it's due.

I'll have to take a close look at the "flipped" scene - that's something I've never noticed. On the subject of reversing images, one of my early errors on the site was "flipping" a couple of pictures because I used the car's steering wheel as a reference. Cursed with an American mind, I put it on the wrong side!

Did you take any pictures of Genevieve in Australia? Your photos or reminiscences of Genevieve Down Under would be most welcome here.

Thanks for becoming the first 'poster' to this page. This site is not heavily trafficked, but those who do come usually have an interest that equals my own, and I'm excited about the prospects for two-way communication on this page. Your compliments on the site mean a great deal to me. Thanks!

Best -

Don

Replying to:

Hi Don

As a life long fan of Genevieve (both the film and the car) I just wanted to say what an absolutely wonderful site you have created - without a doubt the best film site I have ever seen.

Apart from seeing Genevieve on the London Brighton runs I visited her in Australia back in 1986.

She always looks better when on the move !

Looking forward to seeing any more location finds you may uncover

Regards

David

PS Your notes about continuity errors made me chuckle. Look at the dinner dance sequences where the bandsman gives Rosalind his trumpet. One minute he is standing up the next he is sitting down.

Likewise have a look at the very final sequence of the film where Genevieve rolls across Westminster Bridge. I think they have flipped the print ie back to front to try and mask an error where Alan and Wendy have inadvertently swapped sides.