Return to Website

Genevieve Message Page

Please say "hi" and share your thoughts with other visitors to the "Genevieve" site. Your comments and questions about "Genevieve," the London-to-Brighton Run and this web site are welcome and will be acknowledged and answered!

Genevieve Message Page
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's your Favorite scene?

David Rawsthorne suggests in an earlier message that an informal poll be conducted here - "What's your Favorite scene?"

David kicked things off by stating, "I love the bit where Geoffrey Keen as the Motorbike Policeman recites the list of misdemeanours but then proceeds to let them off - in case they thought he wasn't being fair. Priceless !!"

I had never thought in terms of a favorite scene, but in mere seconds, I realized that I *do* have a favorite scene:

It's the scene where Alan is captured in conversation by the old gent (Arthur Wontner) and decides he'd rather lose the race - and Genevieve - than be rude to Genevieve's admirer. It's a great moment that defines Alan's character and lets the viewer know why Wendy married him in the first place.

Anyone else care to offer a favorite?

Don

Writing From Long Island, New York

Re: What's your Favorite scene?

Hello,

This forum was looking a bit sad with just the two of you!

My favourite scene is also the Hauling like Brooligans scene. This is due to the fact that I work 1 minute away from the De Burgh Arms (the pub in the scene). I walk past it everyday (and often drink in it) and find it very hard not to whistle the theme tune as I do so! It's very strange seeing the location as it is now compared to the film. I also love the bad continuity as the scene switches from the location shot to the studio shot (as they begin arguing). Watch the man & woman not only change position but their appearance! Many local people that I work with are very aware and proud that Genevieve was shot around here. I'll try my best to find more locations not included on your site.

Glad to hear that a new DVD version is on it's way!

Phil

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

David Rawsthorne suggests in an earlier message that an informal poll be conducted here - "What's your Favorite scene?"

David kicked things off by stating, "I love the bit where Geoffrey Keen as the Motorbike Policeman recites the list of misdemeanours but then proceeds to let them off - in case they thought he wasn't being fair. Priceless !!"

I had never thought in terms of a favorite scene, but in mere seconds, I realized that I *do* have a favorite scene:

It's the scene where Alan is captured in conversation by the old gent (Arthur Wontner) and decides he'd rather lose the race - and Genevieve - than be rude to Genevieve's admirer. It's a great moment that defines Alan's character and lets the viewer know why Wendy married him in the first place.

Don

Writing From West Drayton, Middlesex

The DeBurgh and Bad Continuity

OK, for those of you keeping score at home, it's one vote for "the old gent" scene; one vote for "the motorbike policemen" scene, and now one vote for the "hauling like brooligans" scene.

While this forum will surely never attract great *numbers* of people, it will doubtless attract numbers of *great* people - so thanks for joining us, Phil, and welcome!

For all forum visitors - and especially for you, Phil - I've added a "hidden" Genevieve page with odd and offbeat items. You'll only read about it here; it won't be referenced elsewhere on the site. It's at:

http://www.donbrockway.com/z.htm

The page was inspired by your remark about loving "bad continuity." I just had to add an MP3 file... can you believe someone has actually written a *song* on the subject? It's a great song, too, so I hope you can hear it.

You'll be able to return here to the forum... or to the "Genevieve" Home page... from the "hidden" page. I will place odd, oblique, and tangential items on that page, all of which can *only* be reached by the hard-core fans who read about it here, hidden away deep in the forum! In fact, I've just thought of another great "hidden item" to place on that page!

Building the Genevieve site has always been fun, but the addition of two-way communication here opens up interesting new vistas!

Phil, does the De Burgh Arms have any Genevieve memorabilia on display? Are the proprietors aware of their illustrious filmic past? Could I impose upon you to write again, starting a new subject, perhaps "The Pubs of Genevieve?" Tell us more about the De Burgh! Ever been to The Jolly Woodman?

A special "Genevieve" Veteran Car Rally is scheduled in 2002 to mark the fiftieth anniversary of filming, and it will tour actual filming locations (as opposed to actual London-Brighton Run locations). I wonder if the folks at the De Burgh will participate?

And - given Dinah Sheridan's revelation that the "ice cream scene" was a last minute inspiration by Director Henry "Loose Hands" Cornelius, could it be mere coincidence that the four adult characters spend a few moments eating ice cream on the steps of the De Burgh moments earlier? The two scenes, together, have always seemed to me to be a comment on the childish natures of Alan and Ambrose, speaking of obliquity...

Best - Don

Replying to:

Hello,

My favourite scene is also the Hauling like Brooligans scene. This is due to the fact that I work 1 minute away from the De Burgh Arms (the pub in the scene). I walk past it everyday (and often drink in it) and find it very hard not to whistle the theme tune as I do so! It's very strange seeing the location as it is now compared to the film. I also love the bad continuity as the scene switches from the location shot to the studio shot (as they begin arguing). Watch the man & woman not only change position but their appearance! Many local people that I work with are very aware and proud that Genevieve was shot around here. I'll try my best to find more locations not included on your site.

Phil

Replying to:

Don

Writing From Long Island, New York, USA

Re: The DeBurgh and Bad Continuity

I was born in 1949, and my very earliest memory is being taken to the "Victoria Theatre" in Newcastle (Australia) where we saw Genevieve. I must have been very young at the time however I have a very clear recollection from that time of the scene whare the Spyker stalls whilst fording the stream. This is still my absolute favourite scene in the movie, and like most of us I've probably watched it hundreds of times.

The movie obviously made an impression upon me becaise I've had a life-long interest in VERY old cars. I presently rally a 1909 TALBOT tourer which bears a passing resemblance to Ambrose Claverhous's SPYKER, and a 1906 rear-entrance tonneau bodied DE DION-BOUTON.

My six year-old grandson watched "Genevieve" with me recently, and when I asked him which part he had enjoyed the most, without hesitation he replied "The part where Rosalyn pushed the yellow car out of the water".

Replying to:

OK, for those of you keeping score at home, it's one vote for "the old gent" scene; one vote for "the motorbike policemen" scene, and now one vote for the "hauling like brooligans" scene.

While this forum will surely never attract great *numbers* of people, it will doubtless attract numbers of *great* people - so thanks for joining us, Phil, and welcome!

For all forum visitors - and especially for you, Phil - I've added a "hidden" Genevieve page with odd and offbeat items. You'll only read about it here; it won't be referenced elsewhere on the site. It's at:

http://www.donbrockway.com/z.htm

The page was inspired by your remark about loving "bad continuity." I just had to add an MP3 file... can you believe someone has actually written a *song* on the subject? It's a great song, too, so I hope you can hear it.

You'll be able to return here to the forum... or to the "Genevieve" Home page... from the "hidden" page. I will place odd, oblique, and tangential items on that page, all of which can *only* be reached by the hard-core fans who read about it here, hidden away deep in the forum! In fact, I've just thought of another great "hidden item" to place on that page!

Building the Genevieve site has always been fun, but the addition of two-way communication here opens up interesting new vistas!

Phil, does the De Burgh Arms have any Genevieve memorabilia on display? Are the proprietors aware of their illustrious filmic past? Could I impose upon you to write again, starting a new subject, perhaps "The Pubs of Genevieve?" Tell us more about the De Burgh! Ever been to The Jolly Woodman?

A special "Genevieve" Veteran Car Rally is scheduled in 2002 to mark the fiftieth anniversary of filming, and it will tour actual filming locations (as opposed to actual London-Brighton Run locations). I wonder if the folks at the De Burgh will participate?

And - given Dinah Sheridan's revelation that the "ice cream scene" was a last minute inspiration by Director Henry "Loose Hands" Cornelius, could it be mere coincidence that the four adult characters spend a few moments eating ice cream on the steps of the De Burgh moments earlier? The two scenes, together, have always seemed to me to be a comment on the childish natures of Alan and Ambrose, speaking of obliquity...

Best - Don

Replying to:

Hello,

Phil

Replying to:

Don

Writing From Maitland, New South Wales, Australia

Re: Re: What's your Favorite scene?

Welcome Phil

Glad you like the same scene as I do. I havent visited the De Burgh Arms yet but I hope to do so sometime this Summer.

I hadnt noticed the precise continuity "errors" but knew it didnt quite match up.

I look forward to hearing of any more locations.

David

Replying to:

Hello,

Phil

Replying to:

Don

Re: What's your Favorite scene?

Hi everyone,

My favourite scene...would probably have to be the crash sequence, where Genevieve crashes into the car that's towing it - and the subsequent scene outside the filling station/garage in which all the characters start talking across each other and their anger eventually focuses on the guy who's been trying to do them a favour by towing them! I also like the dinner scene in Brighton where - to everyone's great surprise - Rosalind plays the trumpet so well.

Alan T

Replying to:

Don