Return to Website

Genevieve Message Page

Please say "hi" and share your thoughts with other visitors to the "Genevieve" site. Your comments and questions about "Genevieve," the London-to-Brighton Run and this web site are welcome and will be acknowledged and answered!

Genevieve Message Page
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: 1953 as seen through Genevieve

This is my first contribution to this message board; I love the website! Genevieve is probably my favourite film, and i love to watch it - thank goodness for video! For me much of the fascination is for the state of the traffic and roads and other vehicles - now vintage in their own right of course! What about the traffic policeman directing the traffic? And those motorcycle cops! Takes me back to my childhood.............

My favourite bits? "hawling like brooligans", the plumpet, Kenneth More, the old dears in the hotel and Joyce Grenfell and her brilliant "no-one's ever complained before". ("Are they Americans?"). It always makes me laugh, and I always remember coming out of the cinema in ??1954 or thereabouts, and discussing it with my sisters, when we uttered the immortal phrase "and Genevieve won!" We were so relieved!

Sorry if my "smilies" don't work, not sure if I'm doing it right..

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Jonathan

Some of your comments sent me wondering what about "old" films I found enjoyable.

Without wishing to over analyse the old films I think it is a combination of "human nature" "gentle comedy" and an interest in the times.

Other thoughts anybody ?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hearing the theme tune on Friday night as background music in a club reminded me that as old car owners we would probably enjoy the film "Genevieve".

I found your site on the Saturday morning coincidentally just as it was published,and found it so interesting that we immediately decided to buy a tape of the film, which I had seen years before but barely remembered.

A viewing last Sunday with friends who also own an old car proved to be enormously entertaining, and we enjoyed every minute.

I had forgotten what a wide appeal the film has. In fact it is not really about old cars at all. We learn very little about the vehicles, but a great deal about their rather childish but lovable owners. It also has some rather "adult" content which is not at first apparent!

The plot is just as fresh now as it was 50 years ago - people

haven't changed at all.

Are the characters older "yuppies" who lost their youth in the war and are trying to make up for it now? In spite of the Mckims' shortage of money, they lead a more attractive lifestyle than most at that time.

The name "Tania" on the invitation hints at an exotic circle of friends - it was surely a rarity at that time.

The red Allard was the equivalent of a new Jaguar today, the damage done to the rear looked rather genuine!

I believe that meat was still rationed in 1952 which would explain the difficult decision about when to eat the small piece of steak. Also the rather careless way in which the eggs get dropped would have shown an audience used to food shortages that these were indeed rather irresponsible, somewhat carefree people who didn't seem to live in the same rather drab world of post-war Britain.

Also drinking and driving was then socially perfectly acceptable. Ambrose is quite happy to be seen swigging pints before starting off, and then halfway home suggests that they go to a pub and have a party!

The Mckims give the value of Genevieve as about £100. The cheapest new car in 1952 would have been about £300 so in those days having such a vehicle as a hobby was more a sign of eccentricity (rather than wealth) than it would be today. Ambrose is in "advertising" which pays well, but which Alan, as a hard working lawyer, seems to view with suspicion. Interestingly, 50 years on some similar perceptions still exist.

Finally "Claverhouse" was presumably chosen for its suggestion of something like "Clever Dick", someone who(wrongly) considers himself to be a bit sharper than everyone else!

My friends and I have our own cars: my friend's is a 1934 Austin 10 and mine a 1937 Ford "Y". We have been on several outings when just a hint of the rivalry seen in the film has emerged!

It is strange to think that they are both now more than 10 years older than "Genevieve" was when the film was made.

Well done for the website which added greatly to our enjoyment of a wonderful film.

Jonathan Davies

Writing From Solihull West Midlands UK