Return to Website

Genevieve Message Page

Please say "hi" and share your thoughts with other visitors to the "Genevieve" site. Your comments and questions about "Genevieve," the London-to-Brighton Run and this web site are welcome and will be acknowledged and answered!

Genevieve Message Page
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Carlton to issue new Collector's Edition PAL DVD

Have just discovered your site, looking for information about the movie. We are going to have a rally here at the end of September and I recalled one of my favourite movies. Especially Kay Kendall playing that horn. Is the movie available on video? It would be so much fun to see it again before we have "our" rally. Thank you

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Welcome to the Genevieve site and to the new Genevieve forum, where you can post messages related to the film, the cars, the stars, the London-to-Brighton Run - anything relevant to the topics addressed here at the site.

The UK video firm Carlton is planning to release a special edition DVD of "Genevieve" just before this year's Brighton Run (October 2001). "We already have a documentary called 'A Profile of Genevieve,' and the film has been remastered," reports Jaz Wiseman of Carlton. Actress Dinah Sheridan and cinematographer Christopher Challis were interviewed for the documentary. Jaz is currently going through the vaults to find behind the scenes images for the stills gallery, and also hopes to find the theatrical trailer "and some other bits and pieces to include." No word yet on whether there will be a commentary track.

The bad news, for those of us in America, is that this DVD is in the PAL format and is regionally encoded, making it difficult - but not impossible - to view on this side of the pond. Reasonably priced ($225) multi-format DVD players are available here, however, that automatically convert the PAL signal to NTSC, making it possible to view UK DVD's on a standard American NTSC TV set.

The most frequent question I'm asked by fellow fans here in America is: "I can't find 'Genevieve' on VHS! Can you help me?"

Alas, "Genevieve" is currently out of print in all formats here in America. Copies are, however, routinely available for auction on eBay at prices that run from ten to thirty dollars. If you live in the USA and need a copy of "Genevieve" - e-mail me and I'll do my best to help you out.

Don

Writing From Saltspring Island, B.C. Canada