Please feel free to join in the discussions.

This is a "free fire zone", but please refrain from using profanity and also, no political debates whatsoever.  Anything resembling profanity or political will be promptly deleted.  Thanks

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
August 1970 memories

Greetings: Funny that is how my draft letter started in 1967. My name is Jim Mahoney. I flew cobras from July 1969 to January 1971. I was Saber 71&76 and sometimes called Lurch (not sure if a compliment or a resemblance to the monster on the Adams Family :).

I had put most of my Vietnam in storage but my granddaughter asked me if I had ever been shot or shot at. So off I went to do some research. I received an award for a flight on August 11 1970 in which a large caliber round went through our cockpit; behind my head. We ended up making an emergency landing at Kham Duc. As I did research on that date lead me to Operation "Elk Canyon 1 and 11. But when I did further searches they came up; does not exist which was not too surprising since they were classified operations. I was surprised to see the title exists but no information.

I was wondering if any of you might have flown that day August 11, 1970 and may have some information. I was trying to find out who my copilot was, the tail number of the cobra and any other information that would not put us in jail :).

For me, I find "welcome home" sometimes trite statement for me to use. We were young men (women) placed in Harms Way in a complex conundrum. Honor is given to those who died, Honor, respect and best wishes to those who were wounded (physically or mentally)and Healthy long Life Journeys to the rest of us elderly wise men.

Jim Mahoney

PEACE