Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
abyssinia st names i recall

o prey,s fr nellie morgan,s wilson,s aulds harte s+m morgan butlers prices gormans mc canns mcmateers bannons george mccorry fraco cassidy rafferty j killen+ etc r i p

Re: abyssinia st names i recall

My great aunty lived in Abyssinia St. Josie Campbell (Rae). She lived with her mother and father, Sam and Margaret Rae. Sam Rae was to go on the Titanic but he had 3 children die in a week and didn't go. He lived until 1956. Also my dad, Sam Delaney tells me he had cousins who had a little shop in Abyssinia St.
Regards, Ann Delaney

many thanks for your reply sorry if missed your relations have been away since 1952have been back a few times with me canadian spouse in me ole age names escape me do remember down the street from us at 18 there was little store in a house and of there was pub at the bottom of abyssinia st.

hi there it is me again if interesed oops key up index or recent post sit give all the name s of abyssinia st and numbers

we lived at 74 abyssinia street my aunt lived at76 mccory also the bunttings also benny hughs who was murdered the bar was called okanes

we lived at 18 yes me dad was a frequent customer at o,kanepub that was after me mom[1947] died he died in [55] have been back since [1994] how the street has changed will try and get again ta ta. gerry

the name of we house shop was magie devlins i think it was number 40 iam now living in boston m.a and igo home 1 every year good talking to you

it was called arthur delaneys bookshop you paid 1 penny for the comic you read it and brought it back for 1 more

Was it Abyssinia Street or Theodore Street where Paddy the coalman lived who was an All Ireland Dancing Champion in his youth?

the only coalmen iknew came from abercorn st and lincon street oneills paddymc partland and clarkes

You're right Billy, Paddy McParland was the very man, the dancing coalman and now I remember it was Lincoln Street he lived in , the street with the double Kerb.

do you come from the area if so what street your right the double kerb street

No I don't Billy I came from Clonard but I remember from a kid there was one of the streets leading ftom the Grosvenor Road to Leeson street had a double kerb on the left hand side going toward Leeson street, I think it was Lincoln Street or Theodore Street.

maybe it was abyssinia st one with okanespub at the bottom of the street. a lot of customers were always stumblingover that kerb

Listening to you Gerry I would say you have 'tripped' over a few kerbs in your time

ach sure me man i took the pledge away back when i was a young fella the only ones i tripped ]kerbs ]was them out side marron pub me thinks i was a decent fella back in those heady truly daysremember the ole song 'i am a rambler and a '?

it was lincoln street i knew a paul hemsworth from clonard

HEY ME MAN OLD FRIEND JOE DORAN RIP LIVED IN LINCOLN EX USA ARMY DID YE KNOW HIM BY ANY CHANCE.

no sorry

No I didn't know him Billy , am left the area many years now .

Paddy mcparland was my granda and he did live in @Lincoln street. He kept his horse in the back of the house

hi josie rea was my aunt also,she was my grandmothers sister.

Hi, I am Sam Delaney's daughter, my grandmother was Annie Delaney and her sister was Josie Rae. I guess we are related.

yes we must be as willie delaney is my father,also i have an uncle sammy in australia,maybe we might be related,also josies grandmother was called mary majury as josie and my great grandparents and greatgreat grandmother are buried in the same grave in milltown as i look after the grave.peter.

Arthur Delaney was my fathers uncle and Josie Rae was his great aunt

Hi Peter, now I am enlightened. Your mother stayed at our house when she came to Australia a few years ago. Its good to communicate with you. If you are on facebook we could swap bits of news and history! Dad is 88 and is just a marvel, goes out and about and has heaps of interests. I think he is in better shape than me!
Nice to hear from you, Ann Delaney, Sammy's daughter

hi ann whats ur name on facebook,peter

does anyone know anne price later anne mccloskey

[bannons barretts smiths rowens wilson mulholland price houston mccann

hugh duffy and tony oconner were the people shot outside the oak bar

my aunt lived in abyssinia st her husband was called john he was a barber they had a really bad time