Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Raglan Street about 1974

Is there anybody from the Falls who remembers some Raglan Str friends, Sadie Mateer, and her son John ? Lived near the Old House, and Murphy's, and the Old Bush, and that. Saw them last at the internment whoopteedoo in August 1974 with lots of celebration on a disused lot on Raglan Str. Would like to chat with any of the Mateers again. Lots of us just foostering about during that time....

Re: Raglan Street about 1974

Kevin Donleavy
Is there anybody from the Falls who remembers some Raglan Str friends, Sadie Mateer, and her son John ? Lived near the Old House, and Murphy's, and the Old Bush, and that. Saw them last at the internment whoopteedoo in August 1974 with lots of celebration on a disused lot on Raglan Str. Would like to chat with any of the Mateers again. Lots of us just foostering about during that time....

i knew a roy mc ateer is that the family you are on about theresa

Theresa,

Thanks for answering. Don't know about a Roy McAteer, and I don't know if overall Mateers and McAteers are close kin, you know ? Since I live in the States, I can't research them very well.
Kevin

I knew Robbo amd Sean Mateer from down the Falls at that time , good people. maybe relations of the John you spoke of Kevin.

Joe,

Thanks for the wee mention of these two fellahs. Would you be kind enough to ask them to email me, as I'd really like to hear about John (who would probably be in his fifties by now, I think). Living in the States, I have no way to reach him. I do recall that early on the Sunday morning of the 1974 internment commemoration in the Falls, John sent me, with the obvious yankee accent, downstairs to deal with the duck squad that was trying to break down the front door --- just to harass the Mateers and keep them on edge. When I groggily opened the door, the *******s (Gloucesters, I think) had strutted away down to harass another family.
Kevin

Robbo McTeer was in my class at Wee Leesie (Miss Mac's Babies Class) I was about 4. I'm sure it was him, I know it was a Robbo.
Regards, Ann D

Hi Kevin
Was John Mateer a window cleaner? Was his address 54 Raglan Street?

Annem880,
That address, 54 Raglan, seems right to me. He lived there with his ma Sadie, who had at least one other son, who was older than John and lived on some other street, it seems to me. Don't know about the window work, as I only knew John through the "events of the day," ye might say. Which meant organizing the craic for the day, and building for the night's bonfire, usually with his comrade a lad called Toner who lived nearby or maybe in the high-rise flats. Do those recollections make sense to you? Can ye put me in touch with John, or can you urge him to email me ?

Yes that is the same family 54 raglan street. John's mother was called Peggy and his Father was called Dan

I now live in Canada I lived at 102 Raglan ST

I know a Pat McTeer that lives in Canada I known he lived In Raglan ST

Hi, I lived in 8 Raglan Street, now in Australia

I lived in Varna Street and there was a Maggie Early a fews doors down.

i remember name maggie earlie maggie mc partland owned the wee shop in my street if thats any help x

THERE WAS A BOXER I REMEMBER A STREET PARTY WAS IT CAULDWELL RINGS A BELL NO PUN INTENDED X

Interesting thread

John Caldwell lived in Cyprus Street and was a local(as well as international) celebrated boxer. Went to 1956 Melbourne Olympics. I remember a great gala homecoming for him where the streets were decorated and chalk writing on the walls of the old brick houses. I think he was put on the back of an open truck and waved to all the supporters. Of course all us kids joined in the merriment and excitement of this. Thinking back now, it was such a small community (lower Falls) and to have such a star in our midst was something every one of us revelled in. The Caldwells were good people - I remember his mother, Mrs Bridget Caldwell, who was a great patriot for the cause and loudly played her music to that effect! Cassie Timmins lived next door to the Caldwells - I still remember her earrings dangling as she proudly congratulated the family. These are only a few of the happy memories I have from a time and place in my life that will stay with me forever.