Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Beechmount

I would love to hear from anyone from the beecmount area and also St Pauls School. I lived in Amcomri Street and attended St Pauls School from 1946 untill 1956.

Re: Beechmount

HI, PADDY WAS AT ST PAULS SAME TIME AS YOU.

Hi Joe, good to hear from you, I remember Joe Faloona was in my class at school, is this you?
Are you related to George faloona from Cavendish Street area?

Hi Pat I lived in Clowney St and went to St Pauls wiyh your Billy.

Hi Brian, good to hear from you. It must be 40 years since I last saw you and funny enough I was just listening to your sister Monica on the radio the other day. I've been speaking to Colin Griffen recently, he lives beside me now in Glengormley, and he was telling me you were home a year or two ago. Do you get home often?
Did you know that Billy passed away a few years ago
in America?
I often think back to the Beechmount day's and wonder what happened to all the guys we were friendly with. Good to catch up with you brian. Keep in touch
Paddy

G'day, I read with interest your story and addresses about Beechmount. It brought back many memories of my youth. I was born in Oakman Street in 1949. Beechmount was at the bottom of my street and Cavendish Street was at the top. There was a bit of a waste area called the "Blackie" from memory. My friends and I used to bend the railings to access this place and walk over the "spiky" pipe to the other side. This area was also used to light our bonfires. There was a power station between Oakman Street and Beechmount where we used to store our timber, tea chests, tyres etc for this bonfire. We had to climb over a very high brick wall to do this. A lot of this firewood was taken from silly young blokes passing through the Falls on their way to the Shankill or Sandy Row to feed their bonfires! It never got there.
I did not know many of the inhabitants of Beechmount, but I do remember the McAteers. They were a very quiet family, and from memory I think that Mrs Mc Ateer was from Malta. She had a son called Anthony who went to have his eyes tested and was hit by a car soon after because he had some sort of lotion in his eyes. I can't remember the whole story - this would be in the late fifties or early sixties. Thank God he did survive this.
Anyway, I left Belfast in 1969 to come to Australia. I watched a movie called "The Sundowners" and took a fancy to go to Australia. It was probably the best thing that I ever did. I am now happily married to one of the most beautiful women I have ever known. We have a few children and thousands of beautiful grandchildren! I used to play football and hurling for Saint Paul's. They were based in Hawthorn Street at that time.
Our coach was a bloke called Hugh Pollock and he used to drive an old Rover 75, then again, it may have been brand new!
Thank you for tickling my memory banks!
Paul R. Thomas

Well i did not know you lived in Glengormley I am in touch with Colin quite a lot.Yes I was back in Ireland 7years on 11th dec I live in Omagh and love it.I did know Billy had passed away,I had a good afternoon with him and Colin in Colin's cafe about 10 years ago and we went through a lot of old times.I like this website i was put unto it by Joe Campbell who now lives in Inverness hes from the lower Falls.Good to hear from you keep in touch,and HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

I was reading through rushlight and came across this forum. my father lived at 15 clowney street and was named Tom Mulholland. i have researched his history and discovered that Clowney street was built around 1902

Re: Beechmount/Joe Faloona

Joe, are you relation of Robbie's?

Anyone know where or what happened to Dessie Cunningham who lived in Beechmount Cresent?

Des is my cousin i think he's somwhere in england i will find out and ley you know.

Thanks Brian, Always wondered how he got on. He would have known me as Junior who lived in number 42 with my aunt.

Des lives on the Ormeau Rd in Belfast.

Marvellous how the internet was able to help put Hugh in the right direction Brian.

Paul Thomas, I can't believe I've seen your post. Marie told me you lived in Australia, I live in Melbourne. Your twin sister Marie McCarthy was a great friend of mine and I've lost her address. Last time we wrote she was just outside Bray. Would love to contact her again can you help with her email address of postal address. Cheers Geraldine

Geraldine I'm in bray what's the girls name I might know her,

Thanks for getting in touch. My friends name is Marie McCarthy (nee Thomas) she's approx 62 years old, her husbands is Pat he was on radio as far as I can remember. She's originally from Belfast. We actually lived in Bray ourselves for a while in Loretto Ave many years ago. Thanks, any news is good news.

Geraldine. Do you have a brother Paddy Fay. He used to help take weight lifting classes with Eddie Finnegan in Beechmount leisure centre?

Tony
Geraldine. Do you have a brother or husband Paddy Fay? He used to help take weight lifting classes with Eddie Finnegan in Beechmount leisure centre.

No relation to us. Also Marie lived in Greystones, near Bray.

Sad to see no recognition of the old Clowney Bridge where the Sunday night open air traditional music sessions took place, many a couple met there and later married.