Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES, JOE

I agree with you 100 per cent Rusty,a great site Joe.

Yep despite attempted censorship of the site you can always rely on freedom of speech and straight talking in the Rushlight. Black is black, white is white, no room for greying of history or bought and paid for bull sh*te. Keep her lit Joe

Happy New Year Rusty and to your family, I Hope you get that decorating done before New Years Day or she will be giving you this
Happy New Year All.

There you go Smicker, you hit the nail right on the head.after all these years we moved from the last house because we were close to the major highway and the traffic has more than doubled since we first bought. Time for a bit of peace and quiet. No good relaxing out in the back lawn with the constant roar of the highway,so we thought it was time to move to quieter pastures and the big plus is we have a park across the street. Now the pressure on to get this new house to our likeing. almost there but not done yet. anyway a very happy new year to you and your loved ones and indeed to all the rushlight fans.

Happy new year Rusty and thanks for the kind remarks about the site, even though all credit is not due to me solely as there are some great posters here in the Forum and I have enjoyed reading the craic they cover. You and the other Joe and many others have contributed greatly and on wide subjects and I particularly like Margaret's flavour of bitter sweet memories, they bring you down to earth at times for we are inclined to forget that there were bad oul days as well as good ones ,which we are inclined not to share, if that makes sense

Those memories just won't go away Joe. I have a million more in my head. If I had a choice to live life over again the way I did, or be born into the richest family in the world, Belfast would win hands down. I know you understand that because you are "Belfast Born, Bred and Buttered". I need to order that book next year from you. Thanks for everything Joe and I look forward to reading the Forum in the new year.I wish you and your family health and prosperity in the new year and the years to come.
Margaret.

I agree with the previous posts Joe. Life today is so very different from when you and I were young. They call it 'progress' but when I read through some of the threads on your forum that inspire nostalgic thoughts and rememberings, I think that we had it better and in the midst of busy days and hurried lives, making time to read the Rushlight Forum and indeed many of the pages on your site, opens the door to the remembrance of days gone by. It allows all of us who remember those 'better days' - to step into the warm glow of fond memories and momentarily be transported back to what were mostly pleasant and happier times. (Despite the hardships)

Thanks to you Joe, we are given such special opportunites to revisit our younger days and indulge ourselves once again in past times in the Belfast of our youth.

Joe I agree with everything that has been said, the stories have brought us back to our child-hood days, they have made us smile and when you are so far away , they can make you cry. Those days while probably not happy for our parents were our "good auld days". I wish you and your family and all the readers happiness for 2011, all the best.

I have enjoyed reading the postings throughout 2010 on this site and I look forward to 2011.
Happy New Year.

Your right Joe, we should share with those that are shareing warts and all, but you know Joe I lived a sheltered life and don't want to bore you all to tears. However I'll jump in and get my feet wet and don't blame me if you fall asleep. I lived such a sheltered life my Mom reported me missing and I was at home all the time playing hookie for several days. She thought there was bats in the attic and It was me tip toeing through the tulips. Sometimes we didn't have enough coal to burn so I would follow the coalman up the entry and pick up the pieces that fell from his bag as he carried them on his shoulder. Used to put my da's apron on ( he was a stonemason) and carried them that way. got enough to burn for a couple of weeks. used to deliver sticks for John O'neill the stick man in st. James's.Used to chop them up and bundle them too. Used to deliver the papers for Ginger Owens. Hated delivering on Saturday night cause the papers were so heavy.I used to bunk in the broadway picture house. I would go in the side door backwards wearing a cap. It really confused the ushers They didn't know if I was coming or going. The cap always points in the direction your going and thats what they see mainly in the near dark. I know cause one time I forgot the cap and they nailed me.. I think the first teddy boy from our area was John Mallon. He always looked really slick. Wonder if he's still around!Great guy, always had a pleasant word for ya and always one way. Well I had a very late night last night so I'll call it a night and here's hoping for ever better things for rushlight and HAPPY NEW YEAR JOE AND ALL RUSHLIGHT FANS.

Joe, you are one of Belfasts best sons. Keep up the great work of not letting our memories fail us- it is truely appreciated. Love and best wishes from the ALL the people of Belfast, I know they wont mind me speaking on their behalf and God bless for 2011. Love.
I originate from Fort Street, now living in Scotland.

What an insight into the history and character of old Belfast. As you say, "warts and all" it is nostalgic, of great social and historical importance and is fascinating. Well done Joe.