Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A wee bit of Belfast Trivia

Name the wee Belfast lad who played "Packy" in the Belfast film , "Odd Man Out", he spoke the line, "Gi'us a penny Mister", and where did he live .

Re: A wee bit of Belfast Trivia

joe was it pat mc grath from the markets

Nope Johnny

was he bunty mc'guiness from carrick hill joe.

The name "mcguiness" rings a bell for me .that was the name of the chap who won the "victory cross" for sinking, I believe, was a German sub. he later died from fumes working in a sewer in Belfast by being overcome with fumes. he was working for the city at the time.

oooops!! sorry, Joe. Wrong thread

Rusty who the hell told you McGuinness, the VC winner. died like that lolll

I bet it was on that silly Forum lol

I apologise to Joe Graham for the unintentional extended intrusion into his trivia. I was a kid at the time but I do believe I heard it on the news. However I may be wrong. I would ask Joe after his own trivia has concluded would he be kind enough to put his history expertese to finding the real answer to that.I think it happened around the very early 50's

My sincere apoligies to everyone. he went to yorkshire and work as an electrican. he later fell into bad health and died in 1986. God rest his soul.

You are quite right Rusty, he died in England.

Joe ,Just a quick reply on this VC winner, The unionist council refused to give him the freedom of the city because he was a working class catholic from the falls, a shilling fund was set up and he received £3600, which was spent rapidly.
also i have scoured the whole cast for the Belfast actor, cant find title of "PACKI" must be hidden somewere or i need new binos

I think you have too much confidence in the internet Mackers.

Hello Joe

The young lad was Packy McAteer from Kildare Street in Carrickhill. My mother knew him and one of his sisters - Kitty.

I can never get the answers to the quizzes you set so I'm chuffed to know the answer to this one. Keep them coming!