Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
A CHRONOLOGY OF OLD BELFAST PICTURE HOUSES

ALAMBRA. 800 seats, opened 1872(as theatre) closed 10th Sept,1959.
AMBASSADOR. 1030 Seats, opened 1936, closed 4th march 1972.
APOLLO. 900 seats, opened 1933, closed 1st December 1962.
ARCADIAN. 600 seats, opened 18th December 1912, closed in 1960.
(The Arcadian was also known as "Johnny Donnellys" & "The Arc").
ASTORIA. 1275 seats, opened 1934, closed 17th August 1974.
BROADWAY. 1380 seats, opened 1936, Closed 31st January 1974.
CAPITOL. 1000 seats, opened 1935, closed 11th January, 1975.
CASTLE. 1000 seats, opened 1934, closed 26th March 1966.
THE CENTRAL. 600 seats, opened 22nd December 1913, closed in 1960.
(The Central was nicknamed "The Bughouse", "Fleapit" and "The Cent")
CLASSIC. 1807 seats, opend 1923, closed 30th September 1961.
(The Classic from 1949 until it closed was called the Guamont)
CLONARD. 1100 seats, opened 1913, closed 30th March 1966.
COLISEUM. 900 seats, opened 1911, closed 20th June 1959.
(The Coliseum for the first four years was called the "Alexandria").
CRUMLIN. 1100 seats later increased to 3000, opened in 1936.
(The Crumlin was fondly nicknamed "The Ranch" by its patrons.)
CURZON. 4,000 seats, opened in 1936, originally only had 1500 seats.
DIAMOND, 600 seats, opened 7th February 1920, closed 1959.
DUNCAIRN. 1200 seats, opened 1916, closed 22nd November 1969.
(The Duncairn was fondly known as "The Donkey" by its patrons).
ELECTRIC PICTURE PALACE. 250 SEATS, opened 1910, closed 1915.
(For the last 3 years "The Electric" was known as the "Silver cinema").
FORUM. 1250 seats, opened 1937, closed 28th January 1967.
GAIETY. 968 seats, opened 14th November 1916, closed 1956.
(The Gaiety was famous for its variety shows at Saturday matinees)
GRAND OPERA HOUSE. as a cinema, 1949 to 7th April 1972.
HIPPODROME. 1800 seats, opened 1935, the Hippodrome became the "ODEON" in 1961..and then the "NEW VIC", in 1974 with only 1200 seats.(The huge balcony seating in the Hippodrome was known as "The Gods")
IMPERIAL. 1000 seats, opened 1914, closed 28th November 1959.
(The Imperial was nicknamed "The Mint" as in Mint Imperial).
KELVIN PICTURE PALACE. opened in 1933, changed to "New Kelvin" in 1934then to "Mayfair" in 1944, then to "News And Cartoons" in 1959, thento "Classic" in 1970...then it finally closed 1st January 1972.
KINEMA HOUSE. 550 seats, opened 7th April 1914, closed 1919.
THE LIDO. 1050 seats, opened 28th March 1855, closed 1970.
(The Lido was converted as a temporary Catholic Chapel, St Mary's)
LYCEUM. 900 seats, opened 1916, closed 29th April 1966.
MAJESTIC. 1400 seats, opened 1936, closed 4th October 1975.
MIDLAND PICTURE HOUSE. 2000 seats, opened 1916, closed 1941.
NEW PRINCESS PALACE. 1000 seats, opened 1910, closed 1960
PRINCESS PICTURE PALACE. 1200 seats, opened 1910, closed 1926.
(Above was known as "Old Princess Palace" between 1923-1926)
NEW YORK. 750 seats, opened 1916, closed 31st December 1922.
PANOPTICON. 335 seats, opened 1912, closed 31st December 1926.
(The above was also known as "The Lyric" between 1924-1941)
PARK CINEMA. 1200 seats, opened 1936, closed 27th May 1972.
BELFAST PICTUREDROME. 1000 seats, opened 1911, closed 1970.
BELFAST PICTURE HOUSE. 850 seats, opened 1911, closed 1982.
(Above was also known as the "Regent" and "The Avenue")
THE POPULAR. 1100 seats, opened 30th October 1917, closed 1972.
QUEENS. 800 seats, opened 1915, closed 15th April 1941.
REGAL CINEMA. 1380 seats, opened 1935, closed 7th January 1967.
RITZ. 2219 seats, opened 9th October 1936, closed 1981.
(Ritz was the "ABC FILM CENTRE" for the last years of its life)
ROYAL CINEMA. 920 seats, opened 1916, closed 1961.
SANDRO. 700 seats, opened 1919, closed 2nd September 1961.
SAVOY. 1250 seats, opened 5th November 1934, closed 1967.
(Above was fondly referred to as "The Cabbage" by its patrons)
SHAFTESBURY PICTORIA. 200 seats, opened 1910, closed 1917.
SHANKILL PICTUREDROME. 1400 seats, opened 1910, closed 1958.
STADIUM. 1400 seats, opened 1937, closed 13th March 1976.
STAR PICTURE PALACE. opened 14th September 1908, closed 1915.
St GEORGES HALL. 1500 seats, opened 1908, closed as cinema 1916.
STRAND. 1170 seats. opened 1935, closed 1983 (reopened later).
TIVOLI. (Pound Loney) opened July 1918, closed February 1920.
TIVOLI. (Finaghy) 1000 seats, opened 1955, closed 7th June 1975.
TROXY. 1154 seats, opened 1936, closed 15th July 1977.
(The Troxy was known as the "Grove" from 1965 till 1977).
WEST END. 1150 seats, opened 9th October 1913, closed 1960.
WILLOWFIELD. 1000 seats, opened 20th December 1915, closed 1971.
WINDSOR. 1250 seats, opened 23rd March 1935, closed 1970.
I bet those names conjured up some lovely memories of happy days.

the duncairn picture house

hi joe we alwaYS WENT THERE WHEN WE WHERE YOUNG IT WAS HANDY FOR US AS WE LIVED IN ANDREW STREET SAILORSTOWN ALSO THE TROXY DOWN THE SHORE ROAD HAPPY MEMORYS MISS MY HOME TOWN AND FRIENDS NOW GONE . THERE WILL NEVER BE AN OTHER TIME LIKE THE 1950S AND 1960S IN BELFAST LIKE MOST CITYS TO DAY ITS NOT THE SAME . BUT BELFAST WILL ALWAYS BE MY HOME.PADDY.

Re: A CHRONOLOGY OF OLD BELFAST PICTURE HOUSES

WOULD OFTEN GO TO THE DIAMOND OR THE CLONARD IF WE HAD A PENNY... THOSE WERE THE DAYS I LIVED ON THE SPRINGFIELD RD THAT WAS IN THE THIRTIES.

You must be close to 90, Joe Hodgkinson.

left ireland in 1947.went to school st.pauls st gauls st marys belfast tec. friends leo wilson, mick mc kegney, jim mc laughin, joe nolan,burk, etc,etc i think the only one left is leo.i live now in ny. and florida retired twenty odd years ago.

HI JOE I WENT TO HARDING ST.EMIGRATED IN 62 ALSO LIVE IN FLA (FLAGLER BCH )AND N.Y.RAISED IN SHORT STRAND RETURN ALMOST EVERY YEAR .MOST FRIENDS ARE ALL GONE

hello Joe Hodgkinson - I have a cousin of the same name. The family used to live in Beechmount Parade. Are you connected in any way with my late Uncle Tom and Aunt Sue?

yes ANNE. MY BROTHER WAS TOM AND MY SISTERINLAW WAS SUE. AND IF YOUR COUSIN IS JOE, AND HIS WIFE IS ANNE, THEN YOU MUST KNOW SHANNA AND ABBIE.THE LAST TIME I WAS IN BELFAST WAS FOR SEAMUS FUNERAL, NOW WHERE DO YOU COME IN.....

Hello Joe

Your unusual surname attracted my attention which was why I wrote in!

Seamus (RIP) and Shanna are my cousins. Abbie's her husband.They got married just after my grandmother (Sue's mother) died.
My aunt Sue - your sister-in-law - was my mother's younger sister.

What a surprise to contact a relative-in law over the net!!First time it's ever happened to me!

Hope all is going well for you.

glad to hear from you, there were quite a lot of us i'm the only one left of that older branch of the family. joe

I remember The Forum Picture house, Crumlin Rd , "Farley" (Doorman) ,with the whip chasing all the kids away who used to taunt him, I being one of those kids in those early days, it was said he was a B Special, but i can't confirm that.

Hello Joe

I think you are right that you are the only one left of the "Old Guard". My mother, who died in 2007 aged 92, was the last of her family as my cousin Jim, Sophia's son, reminded me at her funeral. Her sisters Sophia and Susanna (Aunt Sue) as well as her brothers William John, James and Gerald had all gone before her, Gerald many, many years previously leaving a young widow and a baby son. Another brother Thomas had died in childhood.

Apart from Uncle Tom (your brother, funny how the same names recur in families)I don't know anything about your brothers and sisters. As a child I vaguely remember hearing Aunt Sue and Shanna talk about visiting or planning to visit relatives in England, so I suppose some were living there.

It must be very sad for you not to have anyone to share early memories with. I hope you have your own family in America to share later memories with.
My very best wishes
Anne

anne i think you are a MC GOLDRICK??? I HAVE CHILDREN ALL OVER MARY JEAN LIVES OUTSIDE LONDON SOME IN FLORIDA, GREAT GRANDCHILDREN IN SWEDEN AND NEW ORLEANS ETC. ETC LOOK US UP IN FACEBOOK JOE

No Joe, I'm not a McGoldrick. They are another wonderful family of cousins - with yet another Thomas. He died as a very young man in a road accident! Many of the McGoldricks are still in Belfast but they all left Harrogate Street long ago.

I'll leave you to guess where I fit in! Hope you enjoy the game!

I was glad to hear you yourself have such a lovely family spread all over the world. I wish you every joy with them.

Best for now

Anne

NOW ANNE, I'M IN A QUANDRY, JUST WHERE DOES ANNE FIT IN...MAYBE SHE'S A KELLY?????? JOE

anne
No Joe, I'm not a McGoldrick. They are another wonderful family of cousins - with yet another Thomas. He died as a very young man in a road accident! Many of the McGoldricks are still in Belfast but they all left Harrogate Street long ago.

I'll leave you to guess where I fit in! Hope you enjoy the game!

I was glad to hear you yourself have such a lovely family spread all over the world. I wish you every joy with them.

Best for now

Anne

It was an honour to know that young man Thomas who was killed in a road crash, "Staff Capt. Tom McGoldrick. IRA. rip.

anne
Hello Joe

I think you are right that you are the only one left of the "Old Guard". My mother, who died in 2007 aged 92, was the last of her family as my cousin Jim, Sophia's son, reminded me at her funeral. Her sisters Sophia and Susanna (Aunt Sue) as well as her brothers William John, James and Gerald had all gone before her, Gerald many, many years previously leaving a young widow and a baby son. Another brother Thomas had died in childhood.

Apart from Uncle Tom (your brother, funny how the same names recur in families)I don't know anything about your brothers and sisters. As a child I vaguely remember hearing Aunt Sue and Shanna talk about visiting or planning to visit relatives in England, so I suppose some were living there.

It must be very sad for you not to have anyone to share early memories with. I hope you have your own family in America to share later memories with.
My very best wishes
Anne

Hi Anne,
Lovely to read of your family connections.
I was good friends with your cousins Frank, Seamus and Tom, especially Frank who accompanied me on the Heysham boat some weekends to visit Manchester. I have a few photos of Frankie somewhere, from a trip we did to Scotland. I realise they have gone to their rest.(RIP).
Their parents Sue and Tom used to go to Port Oriel in Louth each Summer and I remember spending a weekend with them there, fishing for mackerel and drinking beer. All good times.
Best wishes, BrianMcKeever

Joe
Sorry I did not reply sooner - work, holidays,various family issues - you know how it is!!

For what it's worth - I'm not a Kelly - are pieces of the puzzle falling into place?

Am I still keeping you guessing?

Hope you are enjoying the summer!

Brian
Thanks for a lovely message.
Would love to see the photos if we get a chance to meet in Belfast.
A propos - have you got a brother/son/nephew called Brendan in the construction business in Belfast?

Best wishes
Anne

Anne left out her mother, Catherine Kelly also known as kitty who married Andy Boyd.
Therefore anne is a Boyd

Yes Kitty and Andy Lived in Cavendish Street for a while .

well done then and now!!
Just to add a little more confusion!
One of your posts is right and one wrong!!

best to all for now
Anne

The first post is right Anne as it's the only one I posted.

Then who posted the second on Nov 22, 2012 - 7:25PM?
Was that not your second post?

Your first post was quite right but - you got the address wrong!!

So who are you?

Please don't ask me to guess - I was very, very small when we left Iris Drive and didn't know my parents' friends.

It all happened a very, very long time ago!

Hoping to hear from you again
All the best
Anne

I came here in 1947 live in port st lucie I go back often But my. Friends are nearly all gone

as a kid we went to the pictures after school. our locals were the gaiety,central.and the alambra. looking back i cant understand how we went in halfway through the picture and then come out when u seen the second half. in other words u saw the last half first? silly really but in them days u just walked in anytime. round r way we called the central lourds in other words u went in a cripple and came out walking.

Yes Violet I remember doing exactly that at, going in half way through the picture then leaving at the same part in the second showing lol.In one voice nearly our group would say "This is where we came in"...and leave.

I noticed the Astoria, Upper Newtownards Road is not included in the above list and I thank David Barr for e mailing me a photograph of the Astoria. I would appreciate any old photographs to rushlight123@hotmail.com

This topic reminds me when I was a nipper (like it was yesterday), I collected about six jam jars and was running down Albert st. with the jam jars hugged to my chest to get into the Arcadian to see Hop-a-long Cassidy and I was kinda late. they took jam jars for admission in those early days. Well, lo and behold, I tripped on the raised sidewalk and a broken piece of jar went into the palm of my hand. Some kind Lady wrapped a banbage round it and of I went to see Hoppy. It left a small white scar,and I still have It to this very day. those certainly were the good old days. Great topic J.Graham

Larry mcgoldrick tom's brother is living in Australia , do you know anyone else in the car crash when tom died ?

Yes a fella called Blake from Clonard , sorry I can't remember his first name .

1 2