Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rushlight an honest website

Happened to luck onto your blo'dy marvellous website when trying to google to find out about/ or if there was any troubles around mid to late 1880's somewhere around where my grandmothers mother (and her parents and family )lived.
I am trying to do some family history. Offtrack a tad, I agree with you on the recording of "history". I learnt as a young child never to believe word for word what I read in the textbook history books(my memory only and it could be playing up but something in my Gr3(3rd year of school) text book about aborigines being like dogs they can just swim instinctively if you throw them in the water, and I knew that wasn't true as the only kids in the bottom swimming group were aboriginals and me..we were all too skinny to pass the float test so we stayed there for years on learn to float and couldn't progress up!)...and I was lucky to have a good history teacher in high school who taught me to ask the history of say the war by asking those on all sides who lived thru it...not reading the history as written by the winners.. read and get translations of anything written available from the other side too....
So I was trying to find out from anyone who had memories passed down thru generations (written, photos, or passed on by word of mouth) what living in or near to Shankill in Belfast in the 1880's really was like.
I recall sitting watching the riots on TV with my grandmother in the 1960's/70's? and commenting how sad it was, and asking why people would do this to each other..and she telling me it was far far worse in the troubles of the old days. I think (but really can't remember precisely , she was talking of when her Mum lived there). My grandmother was born in Manchester, her Mum in Shankill, Belfast,.
I've been googling all day and I found mostly about the troubles being in the early 70's, I've found new maps of their street(76 Wilton St in 1870) which looks like it's now been cut into 2 parts. I've read this happened after the troubles around 1970 ish.
BTW My Grandmother was a lovely kind and astute lady. She was always right as far as I can remember (to the extent of her view based on her knowledge) , So she was never the type to exaggerate with the back in the old days stuff...
So I happened to luck ontop your site..it's the first place I've found that mentions any kind of troubles in the 1880's.. Thanks so much. I'll try to find out more if possible from wherever and whoever I can.
I guess its like others are said ..its bringing back memories of snippets of converstaions I had with those I loved in my youth, about my roots and family.
I still find it difficult to believe that these things happen..and I can see it with my own two eyes!
I grew up with my grandmother in the same house and she grew up with her mother and grandmother in the same house..so its really like only 2 generations ..back in the 1880's for me.
I sure wish I had asked about everything and written it down. I just assumed my Mum knew as she used to volunteer at the family history soceity and help everyone else with their family trees...but never did her own even back to her grandparents?
My grandmother's grandparents were James Henry and Mary Anne (pronounced Ar-na in those daysin Belfast I think?) Mehaffey. They married on 3/3/1868 in St Lukes Cof I ,Northumberland St, Shankill, Belfast : Lower Falls Parish .
James was a flax dresser or a hackler.
James 's father was also James Henry. He was a yarn bundler.
They had many children over the years starting with a Robert John Henry 1869,, my great Grandmother Anna (15/12/1870) born at 76 Wilton St, then Elizabeth Emily(1872), James(1874), Norman (1876), Hugh Scott Henry, Edith, and Ethel Margaret(or Margeruite). They left for England , the Salford and then Chorlon?Hulme/Moss Side (area also had flax mills and I think known as a liitle Ireland) sometime before 1891. I think they left because of the violence (troubles) from that small conversation during the adds on TV, and I have been trying to find out what it was like back then- the living conditions, the work, any troubles...and if they left due to lack of work (money) or the troubles or some other reason entirely.
I'm uncertain if the time of which my grandmother was speaking as being far worse in the old days as being when Anna was growing up as a young lady in the Shankill area or perhaps she heard news of the troubles in the 1920's when living in Manchester ?(though no internet or TV in those days, only newspapers)
I guess I've been insulated from war in Australia so its so hard to read it happening to people who would be like my grandmother.. kind, considerate, hard working, honest, clever(and that post about the money in the white envelope just goes to prove it about the people)....sigh but thanks for this great site!
Only just read a wee part so far...

Re: Rushlight an honest website

About the finest website I have come accross, real down to earth.

Tryin to do family tree. my dad was John Savage mum Hannah Savage gran was Sarah McCann or Barbour. grandad was James Savage may have been scottish think Sarah was from Markets area any info on granparents would be helpful thanks

While looking at a different forum I noticed some less that complimentary posts about this site, so I moved to this site without delay, seccess to those who sent me here?????.
This is a very good site and well informed and although not for all shades of opinion. A good site no less.
Always remember,"if you nothing good to say, say nothing".
All the unneccessary comments and all the "if onlys" in the world cannot change history, "history is what history is".
To those that criticise, I say, While you may not like what you read or what happened historically, its your history as well.