Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A CHRONOLOGY OF OLD BELFAST PICTURE HOUSES

I remember The Forum Picture house, Crumlin Rd , "Farley" (Doorman) ,with the whip chasing all the kids away who used to taunt him, I being one of those kids in those early days, it was said he was a B Special, but i can't confirm that.

Hello Joe

I think you are right that you are the only one left of the "Old Guard". My mother, who died in 2007 aged 92, was the last of her family as my cousin Jim, Sophia's son, reminded me at her funeral. Her sisters Sophia and Susanna (Aunt Sue) as well as her brothers William John, James and Gerald had all gone before her, Gerald many, many years previously leaving a young widow and a baby son. Another brother Thomas had died in childhood.

Apart from Uncle Tom (your brother, funny how the same names recur in families)I don't know anything about your brothers and sisters. As a child I vaguely remember hearing Aunt Sue and Shanna talk about visiting or planning to visit relatives in England, so I suppose some were living there.

It must be very sad for you not to have anyone to share early memories with. I hope you have your own family in America to share later memories with.
My very best wishes
Anne

anne i think you are a MC GOLDRICK??? I HAVE CHILDREN ALL OVER MARY JEAN LIVES OUTSIDE LONDON SOME IN FLORIDA, GREAT GRANDCHILDREN IN SWEDEN AND NEW ORLEANS ETC. ETC LOOK US UP IN FACEBOOK JOE

No Joe, I'm not a McGoldrick. They are another wonderful family of cousins - with yet another Thomas. He died as a very young man in a road accident! Many of the McGoldricks are still in Belfast but they all left Harrogate Street long ago.

I'll leave you to guess where I fit in! Hope you enjoy the game!

I was glad to hear you yourself have such a lovely family spread all over the world. I wish you every joy with them.

Best for now

Anne

NOW ANNE, I'M IN A QUANDRY, JUST WHERE DOES ANNE FIT IN...MAYBE SHE'S A KELLY?????? JOE

anne
No Joe, I'm not a McGoldrick. They are another wonderful family of cousins - with yet another Thomas. He died as a very young man in a road accident! Many of the McGoldricks are still in Belfast but they all left Harrogate Street long ago.

I'll leave you to guess where I fit in! Hope you enjoy the game!

I was glad to hear you yourself have such a lovely family spread all over the world. I wish you every joy with them.

Best for now

Anne

It was an honour to know that young man Thomas who was killed in a road crash, "Staff Capt. Tom McGoldrick. IRA. rip.

anne
Hello Joe

I think you are right that you are the only one left of the "Old Guard". My mother, who died in 2007 aged 92, was the last of her family as my cousin Jim, Sophia's son, reminded me at her funeral. Her sisters Sophia and Susanna (Aunt Sue) as well as her brothers William John, James and Gerald had all gone before her, Gerald many, many years previously leaving a young widow and a baby son. Another brother Thomas had died in childhood.

Apart from Uncle Tom (your brother, funny how the same names recur in families)I don't know anything about your brothers and sisters. As a child I vaguely remember hearing Aunt Sue and Shanna talk about visiting or planning to visit relatives in England, so I suppose some were living there.

It must be very sad for you not to have anyone to share early memories with. I hope you have your own family in America to share later memories with.
My very best wishes
Anne

Hi Anne,
Lovely to read of your family connections.
I was good friends with your cousins Frank, Seamus and Tom, especially Frank who accompanied me on the Heysham boat some weekends to visit Manchester. I have a few photos of Frankie somewhere, from a trip we did to Scotland. I realise they have gone to their rest.(RIP).
Their parents Sue and Tom used to go to Port Oriel in Louth each Summer and I remember spending a weekend with them there, fishing for mackerel and drinking beer. All good times.
Best wishes, BrianMcKeever

Joe
Sorry I did not reply sooner - work, holidays,various family issues - you know how it is!!

For what it's worth - I'm not a Kelly - are pieces of the puzzle falling into place?

Am I still keeping you guessing?

Hope you are enjoying the summer!

Brian
Thanks for a lovely message.
Would love to see the photos if we get a chance to meet in Belfast.
A propos - have you got a brother/son/nephew called Brendan in the construction business in Belfast?

Best wishes
Anne

Anne left out her mother, Catherine Kelly also known as kitty who married Andy Boyd.
Therefore anne is a Boyd

Yes Kitty and Andy Lived in Cavendish Street for a while .

well done then and now!!
Just to add a little more confusion!
One of your posts is right and one wrong!!

best to all for now
Anne

The first post is right Anne as it's the only one I posted.

Then who posted the second on Nov 22, 2012 - 7:25PM?
Was that not your second post?

Your first post was quite right but - you got the address wrong!!

So who are you?

Please don't ask me to guess - I was very, very small when we left Iris Drive and didn't know my parents' friends.

It all happened a very, very long time ago!

Hoping to hear from you again
All the best
Anne

as a kid we went to the pictures after school. our locals were the gaiety,central.and the alambra. looking back i cant understand how we went in halfway through the picture and then come out when u seen the second half. in other words u saw the last half first? silly really but in them days u just walked in anytime. round r way we called the central lourds in other words u went in a cripple and came out walking.

Yes Violet I remember doing exactly that at, going in half way through the picture then leaving at the same part in the second showing lol.In one voice nearly our group would say "This is where we came in"...and leave.

I noticed the Astoria, Upper Newtownards Road is not included in the above list and I thank David Barr for e mailing me a photograph of the Astoria. I would appreciate any old photographs to rushlight123@hotmail.com

This topic reminds me when I was a nipper (like it was yesterday), I collected about six jam jars and was running down Albert st. with the jam jars hugged to my chest to get into the Arcadian to see Hop-a-long Cassidy and I was kinda late. they took jam jars for admission in those early days. Well, lo and behold, I tripped on the raised sidewalk and a broken piece of jar went into the palm of my hand. Some kind Lady wrapped a banbage round it and of I went to see Hoppy. It left a small white scar,and I still have It to this very day. those certainly were the good old days. Great topic J.Graham

Larry mcgoldrick tom's brother is living in Australia , do you know anyone else in the car crash when tom died ?

Yes a fella called Blake from Clonard , sorry I can't remember his first name .

i knew larry mc goldrick in melbourne havent heard of him in years

As a young girl I paid my respects at Vol Blake's wake with my cousin Maura, Tom's sister who herself died very recently.
Mrs Blake was the saddest woman I have ever seen in my life.
Her face haunts me to this day. I can still see her in my mind's eye.Her grief was every mother's grief at the death of a beloved child.

PS As far as I know Lawrence is still living in Australia.

Best to all
Anne