Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
from rushlight vol 21 No14 page 19 to 20, One Mans Terrorist, etc

This is intriguing. and its by our very own Historian, The one and only, Joe Graham.

ONE MANS TERRORIST IS ANOTHER MANS PRIME MINISTER,, or,, Is it the other way about, ONE MANS PRIME MINISTER IS ANOTHER MANS TERRORIST.

Arch Bishop Marchiaros of Cyprus was a Terrorist, President George Washington of the USA Was a Terrorist , Prime Minister Begin of Israel was a Terrorist , President DeVelera of the so called Irish Republic was a Terrorist , Bobby Sands Member of Parliament was a Terrorist.
Mother England is very ready to name call people who oppose rule of England in their own country, Yet when the chips are down and England is kicked out , They wine and dine Yesterdays Terrorists on the lawn of Buckingham Palace , Bickies and Tea with the reigning Monarch of England. The first four mentioned were afforded this pleasure!..Poor Bobby Sands , like Wolfe Tone, Died in a Dreary Prison Cell!..You See.. "Terrorists remain Terrorists" , ,unless they kick England out.
Back in the late 1840's , England lined nine Irishmen up in a Dublin court and convited them of Treason, Having been involved in the "Young Irish Disorders". The nine were, Sentenced to death by hanging and their bodies were to be, Drawn and Quarterd, After the judge had been told by the men in the dock, "We are sorry we were caught, If we had to do it again we would be more careful, but if you be lenient with us we will do better the next time,, We wont be caught.
After many protests , Queen Victoria commuted the sentences to Transportation to Australia.
All the Terrorist were taken in chains aboard a prison ship and landed in the far off land. NOW THEN , who were these Terrible nine Irish Terrorists , did they take to a life of crime and terror in the new country.
The nine were , Charles Gavan Duffy , Terrence McManus , Richard O' Gorman , John Mitchel , Michael Ireland , Pat Donahue , Thomas McGee , Morris Lyene , and , Francis Meagher.
Some 25 years later England discovered some startling facts about the nine men who they banished Banished and labbeled Terrorists.......
The nine men rose to High Offices Abroad, and Here are the facts.

Terence McManus..............Brigadier General U.S. Army.
Thomas Meagher...............Governor of Montana.
Morris Lyene.................Attorney General of Australia.
Richard Gorman...............Governor of Newfoundland.
Patrick Donahue..............Brigadier General U.S. Army.
Michael Ireland..............Attorney General of Australia. After Lyene term.
John Mitchell...........Writer and New York Polotician, his son became mayor.
Charles Gavan Duffy....Became Sir Charles Duffy, Prime Minister of Australia.
Thomas McGee.......Member of Parliament,Montreal, Minister of Agriculture and
...................the President of council Dominion of Canada.

Now isn't that one for the records.

Please note, Remaining text from the original Article has been ommited, to save space , except this auld song.

The scotch have their Thistle.
The Welsh have their Leek.
Their poets are paid about 10 pence per week.
Provided, No hars words of England they speak.
Oh Lord!, what a price for devotion.!

Re: from rushlight vol 21 No14 page 19 to 20, One Mans Terrorist, etc

Phew I had forgot about that article Mackers, thanks for putting it in , was 19 years ago.
So I even enjoyed just reading it there lol, a nice surprise .

Few more surprises to come Joe, hope you got the email re the school photo from St Gabriels 1967, two years before I left the same school. But Im curious about two which i have ,"NOW and THEN" Vol 2, I like the SEANCHAI, about the ghost of the scout informing the Flying column to stop the operation because the British new what was happening, I wont say anymore, I might post it, Very intriguing. But, are they from you Joe?.

Yes got the school Photo and all Mackers , that other thing is not by me could you drop me a wee e mail please I have lost your addy .

Emailed you Joe, with the two pages from that booklet, Called, "Seanchai", Im sure you and the rushlight readers will Enjoy the piece, I will let you Type it out and post it, I have never heard of this booklet, "Now and Then". ps Make sure you check your junk mail. lol

I just got your e mail Macker , great stuff
Yes that is from a wee Book I done some years "Where The Lagan Flows"
nice to see it again .

Joe , ive Just emailed you a front cover of an old rushlight.
Its got no number on it, Front cover says , "Your Link With The Past"

Got it great thanks Mackers . will answer e mail.

Thanks Joe, I appreciate that download, Great reading.