Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
about time

It was great to see Swansea beat chelsea today in goal aggregate by tying today and thus winning by 2-0. I love to see less noteable teams like Bradford, Norwich and of course my favourite Swansea beat these pompous big money teams and I put my money where my mouth was. Its Swansea for the final. Change is the sign of the times!!!!!!!! Long road that has no turning.

Re: about time

Hi Rusty,
I agree with you. It is nice to see the smaller clubs come out on top. I don't follow football much but did hear the other day that Bradford won. It is so nice to hear. Bradford is a beautiful, sad, neglected city. It's nice to see some joy coming to them.

Re: about time

I wonder do people in England support Glentoran or Crusaders!!!

Re: about time and a little past

I was just extremely happy to see a Welsh team beat and humiliate the big London club Chesea by 2-0 on their own pitch and a flutter on them was the iceing on the cake. There's no such thing as English teams anymore anyway. If you take a look at the players they are either Irish, Scotch or come from Africa or some other Country, so where's the English players? London isn't the Capital of England anymore. It's the Capital of India. So my point is a mute one.
I go to St. Jacobs sometimes, they have a renouned farmers market there and while I was up there I took a drive into to St. Mary's where I believe (Nell) thats your neck of the woods (or was). One of the Kennedy clan (John) was from St.Mary's and he married the daughter of the imfamous Donnelly clan from Lucan. the one that went down in history as being in the worst feud with the Farell clan in north american history. 30 odd years of barn burning,horses getting their throats slashed houses burned to the ground and killings. On a cold winter night around 1.30 a.m. on the 4th of Feb. 1880 the Donnelly clan were murdered in their beds by the towns people, John Kennedy ( brother-in -law) led the pack. their bodies were then burned. The gravestone in Lucan was changed in 1964 and the word "murdered" was changed to "died'.There's a little bit of Irish histoy on Canadian soil. They have a donnelly Museum built now were their homestead was. I guess you've heard some tales about the whole affair. I know down there where it all happened no one will discuss it because there are still some decendants living there to this very day. Have a good weekend all rushlight readers.

Re: about time and a little past

The Donnelly story is very interesting and tragic. There is a website: www.donnellys.com. There is a lot of background history here which suggests that the Donnellys weren't as bad a history paints. Just a poor family trying to survive in a harsh new country. My grandmother(of Irish decent) grew up on a farm near by and I wonder if she or her family heard of this horror. You're right, Rusty. No one talks of this. I was shocked when I first read a book about it many years ago.