Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
old white rock road

I lived at no 227 up until 1969 and have many great memories growing up their . One side of the street was farmer grants field yes no McDermont houses then. As a young boy i played about with Thomas Oniel , Brian Gow , Thomas Mc Millan , Bernard & Robert Doyle , Shammey Bradley and eugine Maguire.Chasing the cows , taking the empty beer bottles out of the Alverno bottle dump and re cycling them at Paddy Kellys pub for a couple of pence and going up the mountain to the hatchett field and the gully where just some of the things we did in those days I went to the wee white church and was a boy in the 115th bb when Jimmy Wylie & vaughn rosbotham where both these guys went on to be company captains .

Re: old white rock road

Did you use to live in Ballymurphy before you moved to the Whiterock Road Cyril ?

No Smickers moved in when new barnsley was just built. I was about 2 or 3 years . lived there until i was 17 . 227 was the last house in the street and the church field as it was known ran along the side of it. The field was owned by the Luther church ( wee white church as it was known locally.)

Hiya Cyril, I mated about with Jimmy Wylie from 1950 when both our families moved into Ballymuphy Crescent, I lived in number 3, Jimmy in number 11, we played in the fields where they later built Newbarnsley. Vaughan Rosbottom lived round our corner in 3 Ballymuphy Drive, he was younger than us.I remember Jimmy went to the B.B in the wee Church Hall behind the Church, they were a good oul family and neighbours, Vaughan's mother when she died, not all that long ago, was one of the oldest original residents.

hi joe so suprised to hear from the legend him self .does any body no if the doyles still live on the road. Bernard was my BEST friend we went on family holidays together in a time when time when didnt know there was a such a thing as prods & taigs we where all FRIENDS on the street.I can remember the times when we as a street (which was in hindsight 50/50 )used to have a 11th nite bonfife in grants field and we all collected for it. Also my dad was a member of the orange order and the Black both organisations i never joined for some reason and can remember when he was master AGNES STREET SILVER BAND leaving and returning to 227 and the street turning out to see them. Also when i lived there i remember the army motor bike squad/ team what ever they ncalled them selves riding up the mountain loney on to the mountain for what they did there. am i old or what.i would love to hear about the doyle family or any one who new about them . i think big brother TOM went to Austrailia then there was Bernard Robert Patrick & Pryclla. ( spellings ******** but you get drift). My grand parents are buried in City cemetary and in can remember going to grave then cutting through the railings and going for a swim in the COOLER is it still there. night night.food for thought ?

Memories of Belfast staying with my Granny at 1 carnmore Terrace, Whiterock road the house I was born in, now long gone. Lots of Carabine's still in Belfast and lots of great memories always.

Was interested in reading the Ballygomartin Road was originally named Whiterock Road it explains how so much on the right hand side of the Springfield road is identified with the name 'Whiterock, for example
"Whiterock Orange Hall".

I have lived in Beechmount 17 years and only learned yesterday that there is a street here called Ballymurphy Street loll I have to visit this site more often

It runs from Beechmount Drive to Beechmount Cresent. cutting all the streets in between in half. There are no houses on it.

how old is this Joe surely there must b one thing he dont know about Belfast x

lol Smicker ...sometimes I feel I am older than the black Mountain

if you want to live as old as Joe, Smicker, take your porridge every morning, stay cool and have a chuckle every day. coming from someone older than the man himself,(Joe). Have a wonderful, peaceful Christmas everyone.

Nice hearing again from you Rusty, and a Merry Christmas to you and family Merry Christmas to all readers and posters too

Hi Cyril it's Thomas McMillan just found out about this forum and remember you and all the Mountain Looney boys well