Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
OLD NEWS TODAY

19th January 1944.
Samuel Holden of Upton Street refused to recognise the court when charged with being a member of the IRA , The judge, Babbington, entered a plea of not guilty. Holden was entered found guilty and sentenced to 6 years penal servitude.

Wednesday 4th October 1944.
Patrick Adams, (30) of Abercorn Street North, one of the escapee Internees was captured after being on the run for 18 months. He was captured while sitting on the North bound train by peelers on board the train.

6th October 1944
Eugene Donnelly was arrested after producing a gun in a Carrick Hill Bar and asking a customer named Smith, “Have you got £15”. When arrested he said he had been given the gun by a sailor, the drunk was bound over for a year.

16th May 1941.
A sentence of six months imprisonment was imposed on Jane McAdam, Fleming Street, who was convicted of looting 16lb of Margarine from damaged premises at Belfast Custody Court.
Bridget McKinney, Nelson Street, who admitted looting a quantity of Linen, a clock and an ornament from damaged property, was sentenced to 9 Months Hard Labour. A charge of looting eight jars of vanishing cream against Robert Sanderson, an Aberdeen seaman, was dismissed.

22nd February 1939.
REVOLVER CHARGE AGAINST BELFASTMAN
A married man with five children, Edward Keenan (35),- labourer, New Andrew Street, was remanded until Friday next when he appeared at the Belfast Police Court yesterday charged with the illegal possession of a Webley revolver with intent to endanger life on February 14. ‘‘
APPEAL FOR BAIL.
A strong appeal for bait was made by Mr. B. Campbell, who pointed out that Keenan was the sole support in the home, and if he were kept in jail his children would go hungry.
Mr. J. H. Campbell, R.M, in reply; said there came a time when the safety of the State was equally as important as hunger. He would remand Keenan in custody.
Head-Constable Heron prosecuted

Re: OLD NEWS TODAY

25th June 1941.
YOUTHS JAILED FOR POSSESSING LEAFLETS ADVERTISING I.R.A. BROADCAST
For possessing leaflets advertising an IRA Shortwave Broadcast, a sentence of two years hard labour was passed at Belfast yesterday in John Gallagher (22) a store man, of Britton’s Parade, and Charles Pryor (20), carpenter, of Whiterock Gardens, Belfast. They were further sentenced to two months’ hard labour for assaulting a constable, the sentences to run concurrently. District Inspector Noel Sweeney prosecuted.
Special Contab1e Isaac Doole said he became suspicious of two men whom he saw in Mowhan Street at 11.50 p.m. on May 29. He followed them, and in Marlborough Avenue he stopped them and asked for their identity cards. One of the men said he had not his with him. and witness asked them to accompany him to the Lisburn Road barracks,
“Immediately I made this request.” said witness, “both men struck me several blows on the head and face with their fists. I tried to get hold of them, and in the struggle dropped toe identity card which the first man had given me.
“I managed to hold on to Gallagher but the other man got away. Gallagher put his left hand into the outside pocket of his overcoat, and then pointed towards me as, if he held a revolver. I drew my Revolver. and Gallagher bolted. I shouted: “Halt, or I will fire.’ and he stopped.”
Special-Constable Doole then told how he took Gallagher to the barracks and how at the barrack door defendant threw a bundle of slips of paper into a small garden in front of the barrack, When Constable long brought in the slips Gallagher said to. him: — ‘You will rue this’
On each of the slips, added witness , Was typed …
“IRA BROADCAST FRIDAY 30th MAY. 42metres short-wave, 7 pm”
Later witness returned’ to the scene of the struggle and found Pryors Identity card which he had dropped. Head-Constable Fleming said Gallagher sad he did not know Pryors name, and it he did he would not tell It, it would be against his principles. Gallagher added that he supposed he would get five years. Both men remained silent In the dock throughout the hearing.
Mr. S. H. Campbell. R.M,. said the fact spoke for themselves The sentence, of the Court was two years imprisonment in each case, with hard labour, and at the end of that period defendants would be required a enter into ball in £50 each for 12months, in default a further 12 months imprisonment. There would be two months imprisonment in each case on the assault charge, the sentence to run concurrently with the major sentence.

7th April 1945.
Thomas Francis Loughran (20) Cinnamond Street, Pound Loney, who pleaded guilty to having a revolver in his possession and under his control for an unlawful object, was at Belfast City Commission, sentenced to fifteen months imprisonment with suitable labour.

21st April 1943.
Two men , Albert O’Rawe (19) Oakman Street and Patrick McGuigan (20) Malcolmson Street were sentenced to 10 years Penal Servitude and (under the ‘Special Powers Act’) , with twelve strokes of the cat each.
Oul Judge Babbington on imposing the sentence said, “ In almost any country other than this the prisoners would not be tried by a civil court; they would have to face a firing squad. The police of this country have to be protected.”
O’Rawe, on hearing the sentence shouted , “Long Live The Republic” . Peelers grappled with McGuigan as he tried to shout, also people were dragged from the public gallery who tried to protest.

18th January 1939.
Another one of the 34 interned men in Belfast Jail, Joseph Keenan, has taken ill and has been removed to the prison hospital.
Frank McGlade and Sean McArdle, two other internees, have already been transferred to hospital. The interned men it is understood, are to be allowed one visit a week. And to send a letter out to their friends once a fortnight in addition to the usual two postcards they are allowed to send out weekly.

15th December 1942.
Hugh McKenna , Joiner, Grosvenor Road, lost his claim for £50 damages for loss and injuries in court after a Judge ruled that a trolley bus on which he was travelling on the Falls Road collided with a lamp standard through no negligence of the bus driver or the Corporation.

3rd August 1945.
At the inquest of Ardoyne boy, Stephen Officer (12) Farrington Gardens, Dr. Lowe ruled “Accidental Death” , on the boy who fell 90 feet from Cavehill where he had been picking Heather. His 9 year old brother, David, described how his brother Stephen had slipped and fell from above the caves head first onto the ‘Sheep’s Path’.

WOW!!! Joe, Its amazing all these incidents all took place without much ado. I'm sure there is a lot of history in Belfast alone that many are not really aware of, although it comes with the territory. Great stuff Joe, keep the lessons going. History is very important because where we are at today is because of where we've been in the past. the readers really appreciate it, I know I do.

Good Morning Rusty, I think everyone enjoys looking through old newspapers and yes it is actual history. Hope you're keeping well Rusty.

wow!, Joe, We still haven't stopped suffering.
Fantastic facts though , well appreciated.

Morning Macker, yes the same old story,

1941. Three girls arrested in Tennent Street near Savoy Picture House distributing leaflets for the IRA, received two years in Armagh prison. They were two sisters, 17 and 16 years old Mary and Bridie O Hare and the third girl was Sheila O Toole all from Beechmount. The sister's brother, Pat O Hare was on the Al Rawdah Prison Ship at the time.

Motor car over the border (15th November 1924) The Irish Times

At the Masses at Clones Roman Catholic Church on Sunday sermons from the text “ Thou Shalt not kill ” were preached in condemnation of the murders and outrages committed in different parts of Ireland. At the obsequies of J. F. McCaffrey, 1st Company, 5th Northern Division, a native of Derryard, Roslea, Co. Fermanagh, who died in the County Infirmary, Dundalk, on Friday as the result of wounds received in an ambush, the Rev. W. Cullinan, C.C., preached from this text.
The remains were then conveyed across the border for interment, Staff Captain White being in charge of the guard of honour which accompanied the hearse to the frontier. The military display here ceased and as the cortege crossed the boundary a force of Specials, who were drawn up there on the roadside, saluted

“History gives us a kind of chart and we dare not surrender even a small Rushlight in the darkness. The hasty reformist who does not remember the past will find himself condemned to repeat it”

A very interesting article , a real insight to those years ,

ALLEGED ATTEMPTED SUICIDE
George Henry, a naval pensioner, was remanded until Thursday on a charge of threatening to cut his own throat. According to evidence, prisoner came into the Central Police Barracks on Sunday evening and asked for lodgings, as he was destitute.
Head Constable Doohan informed him he should go to the workhouse, but the prisoner turned and said the only thing he could do was to cut his throat.
He then produced a knife, and attempted to carry out the threat, but Sergeant Loughran prevented him.

ATTEMPTED SUICIDE BY POISON
Nathaniel Wilson, 36 years of age, appeared before Mr Garrett Nagle. RM charged with having taken a poisonous concoction in attempting to commit suicide. A witness described how she discovered the accused, whom she had spoken to before, lying crumpled in pain in the hallway of a house where they both boarded.
Mr. Nagle addressing the accused sentenced him to One Month Imprisonment and explained it was the least sentence he could hand out for such an offence.

joe do you have a shop where you can come in and browse some of the old magazines and stuff?

no Liam, I work from home. Drop me an e mail and I will get a few wee magazines to you.

What great reading Joe.. thank you for your effort

I received the latest Rushlight Magazine today, thanks once again for your effort Joe, keep up the good work , Looking forward to your new book .

Great to see the rushlight still going Joe get it of your wee grandson every week love it thanks

A great thread. I enjoyed it , keep it lit Joe.