Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OLD NEWS TODAY

wow!, Joe, We still haven't stopped suffering.
Fantastic facts though , well appreciated.

Morning Macker, yes the same old story,

1941. Three girls arrested in Tennent Street near Savoy Picture House distributing leaflets for the IRA, received two years in Armagh prison. They were two sisters, 17 and 16 years old Mary and Bridie O Hare and the third girl was Sheila O Toole all from Beechmount. The sister's brother, Pat O Hare was on the Al Rawdah Prison Ship at the time.

“History gives us a kind of chart and we dare not surrender even a small Rushlight in the darkness. The hasty reformist who does not remember the past will find himself condemned to repeat it”

A very interesting article , a real insight to those years ,

ALLEGED ATTEMPTED SUICIDE
George Henry, a naval pensioner, was remanded until Thursday on a charge of threatening to cut his own throat. According to evidence, prisoner came into the Central Police Barracks on Sunday evening and asked for lodgings, as he was destitute.
Head Constable Doohan informed him he should go to the workhouse, but the prisoner turned and said the only thing he could do was to cut his throat.
He then produced a knife, and attempted to carry out the threat, but Sergeant Loughran prevented him.

ATTEMPTED SUICIDE BY POISON
Nathaniel Wilson, 36 years of age, appeared before Mr Garrett Nagle. RM charged with having taken a poisonous concoction in attempting to commit suicide. A witness described how she discovered the accused, whom she had spoken to before, lying crumpled in pain in the hallway of a house where they both boarded.
Mr. Nagle addressing the accused sentenced him to One Month Imprisonment and explained it was the least sentence he could hand out for such an offence.

joe do you have a shop where you can come in and browse some of the old magazines and stuff?

no Liam, I work from home. Drop me an e mail and I will get a few wee magazines to you.

What great reading Joe.. thank you for your effort

I received the latest Rushlight Magazine today, thanks once again for your effort Joe, keep up the good work , Looking forward to your new book .

Great to see the rushlight still going Joe get it of your wee grandson every week love it thanks

A great thread. I enjoyed it , keep it lit Joe.