Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Halloween

That well brought back memories Joe, Used to sing it every Halloween with my granda's auld scoop going door to door in what was called Glenard.

Thanks for the memories.

Hello Joe,

I was raised in the farm country of Ontario. As children, we also did the face dipping for apples in a tub of water. I am wondering if this was a custom brought from Ireland. At that time, the majority of farmers were of Irish descent.

xcuse me sir dont u call me an old granny even if i am lol me dont need halloween 4 visits ha x

is it that hard 2 believe loved ones stay in contact i know it 4 sure x

any good news eeeek x

I think the innocence in "Halloween" is not so innocent anymore. Not like your time in the country, Nell. Over here there's as many older ones dressing up as kids now and its a great opportunity for some of them to commit crime, so its a real dodgy time here. you read about it in the papers next day. Also a lot of candies and apples are tampered with, like putting pins and blades in apples and candies. Its totally unbelievable what some
weirdo's do. That's why less and less kids go around now.
By the way I think you've gone under the radar!!

Hiya Nell, Rusty, Mackers, Theresa and Bobbie...
I have the fondest memories of Halloween as a child, but lately each year you hear more of kids putting lit fireworks through old peoples letter boxes and things like that, kinda sad it is.

Your right, Joe. It truly is sad, It used to be a real fun time for kids. I remember very well singing the "ditties" you referred to and I always made sure I sang them in such a way that I was guaranteed to get something to shut me up. Yes, indeed those were the days, but now it never goes over without crime of all sorts that night. Its getting so bad that there are concerned groups lobbying to ban "Halloween" over here. Parents go around now with their kids to try and keep them safe. I think myself, if its going down hill then it would be safer to phase it out altogether. Its just an opportune time now for weirdo's to commit crime.
Having said that Joe I hope,you and all your readers have a fun "Halloween"