Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
GIANTS FOOT

IS THE OLD GIANTS FOOT LANE STILL THERE? I USED TO GO UPTHERE EVERY SUNDAY TO THE OLD FOUNTAIN FLOWING OUT OF THE MOUNTAIN IT'S ALONG TIME AGO I'D SAY AROUND 1939

Re: GIANTS FOOT

IS GIANTS CAUSEWAY ANY GOOD X

You're getting your lanes mixed up Joe, it's the Mountain Loney that lead up to the water fountain, or "Well" that people called it.

Giants Foot is off the Falls Road Joe

GIANTS FOOT IS UP THE SIDE OF THEBEECHMOUNT LEISURE CENTRE FACING THE wEST SOCIAL CLUB BEECHMOUNT LEISURE CENTRE NO LONGER THERE IT HAS MADE WAY FOR AN IRISH SCHOOL

THANK YOU TOMMY I''D FORGOTEN IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME MAYBE 70YEARS

Yes, it is a long time Joe, the old Loney is still there but very much changed since your days.

Well Joe, maybe you're not so wrong. The Giants Foot was a turning on the right
opposite to where the Broadway Cinema and the De La Salle Brothers Home used to be. It was very rough and completely unpaved, the name came from a huge hollow in the stone surface which of course was the Giant's footprint dontyaknow.
Continuing on past the outer wall of McCrory Park - named after Cardinal McCrory
you would eventually come out on the Whiterock Road with another and more imposing stadium to your right, Casement Park, past the back end of the Protestant cemetary till you reached the upper Springfield, just opposite you was the Mountain Loney past the Tin Church and uphill all the way till you arrived at the Spring gushing strongly out of the foot of the Black Mountain whatever the weather and to be rewarded with the purest coldest drink of water in the entire world to refresh you for the steep climb up the track to the Hatchet Field and the best view in Ireland.
And if that seems a long way to you now Joe, remember that you'rs thinking of a time when you could cycle to Hannahstown after the Confraternity and be Home before ten!

Harry, don`t you mean Corrigan park?.

Ach sure I should have remembered Barney that Casement Park was opened at Andersonstown the year before I left for England in 1954. Whatever did they do with Corrigan? Built houses on it I guess.

Corrigan Park is still there. Home of The Johnnies since Antrim moved to Casement. I played there many moons ago, loved the ground loved the people from the 'Murph even though I wasn't a native, I was from up the road lol

HiJoe because of the year 1939 have you heard of the name Joesph Andrew o'Hara my dad lived on falls road in that time period they owned clanard confections and teahouse near the old bayhs do any of this ring a bell looking for info on my dad thank you maureen