Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Legion of Mary

Does anyone remember going from door to door to deliver Holy water. All the recipients were very happy to receive a bottle, be it an old medicine bottle or a lemonade bottle. Some would offer thruppence or a penny. Of course, it was God's work so we had to refuse. Although I did entertain the thought of how many sweets or candy apples that would buy. If anything, ethics were ingrained in us at a very early age!

Re: Legion of Mary

I remember going to the legion of mary at St Johns church as a young lad. There was always excitement when the secret bag was passed round.

I was very young then and can't remember the meetings. Please tell us about the secret bag! And the venues where we would have assembled.

There were steps behind St Johns(opposite the city cemetery) and I think we met in the sacristy up the steps. It was a bit of a joke for us youngsterd and when the secret bag was passed round it was a tossup whether we put a coin in or took one out. As far as I remember we said the rosary too.

Nice wee thread...those were the good old days, newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --I delivered a newspaper, seven days a week. And got up at 6 every morning.

Re: Family History

great information on your site,love it.doing research into my mothers side of the family the oneils of 6 Cyprus st.they stayed in 190 wilton st in the 1920s.the the father was Charles oneill,wife alice,they had 7 of family,mary, alice, catherine, elizibeth, michael, charles and rose.the mother alice died in 1944,daughter Catherine in 1947 and son Charles in 1934 all were buried in milltown cemetery from number 6 Cyprus st.dont know about rest of family.my mother and I visited rose in 1962,dont know the address,all I do remember it was off the falls road,it could have been Cyprus street. can anyone remember the family.