Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Graham & Grimes

Chris Writes 13th January 2014

Good day
I'm trying to make two links with 19th century Antrim.

First is a young daughter of Gawn and Maggie Graham of Connor: Martha Graham died 20 December 1908 aged 7 years 5 months, so she did not appear in either the 1901 census or the 1911 census. My family kept a memorial of her death.

Second is Janet Graham my great-great-grandmother (died July 1870, wife of old Sam Hill of Carnmoney Presbyterian church) - she gave her Graham name to various descendants, some of them well documented in Carnmoney, but there is not much about Janet herself.

Does anyone know more about them? All help appreciated!

Chris

Re: Graham & Grimes

Hi Brendan,

Good to see your query and the responses it generated. I've been doing this " Family Tree and Graham Origins " Study for around seven years the
'noo, and the more I study , the more I find I have to learn. ! Somewhere in my collection of notes, I have ( iI think ! ) four pages of some 100 + ways of spelling Graham ....I'll E.Mail it to you if you like . Joe Graham said in his response , the we were under sentence of Death once for just having the " wrong " surname ! He's quite correct. One thing I read was that some of those of our Ancestors who chose to change their name , chose Maharg, which does'nt take a lot of figuring out is Graham spelled backwards ! Others went McHarg so I've read. I checked this out, and one Correspondent said :- " My Grand-dad said our name , Maharg, was changed from another surname , many years ago" , and I found by Googling :
"btinternet. residential numbers" that there are Mahargs in the UK Phone book. I have , by the way , got Lists of our Clansmen who in 1605 sent to Holland , by King James, and the following year , whole families who were Exiled to Ireland....if you want them ...just add thet to the list ! I am also in touch with two Scots Grahams whose Ancestors returned to Scotland from Ireland Generations ago. If you want assistance with your Family Tree studies, I could put you in touch with them. I don;t go to this Website very often, but I'm best contacted at :- bruros@clear.net.nz; which shows you what country I live in ! Look forward to hearing from you, Cheers the ' noo, Bruce Graham !