Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
THE WONDER OF RUSHLIGHT

Hello, Joe; Hello, All, ----- I'm from the Clonard area of Belfast, though I now live in County Wicklow. About nine years ago I bought a laptop, gradually getting used to what I could do on it --- chat to friends and relatives in the USA, New Zealand, etc. One day, Harry, my cousin, originally from Whitewell Rd (before that, Beechmount) sent me an a-mail from N.Z., partly to tell me of RUSHLIGHT, and that I check out the GUEST BOOK. This I did, with amazing results: the first name to jump out at me was that of a guy who had worked for some years in the IRISH NEWS. He had posted an entry on GUEST BOOK the day before, stating where he had gone to school and then worked in the I.N. So my cousin figured I would likely know this guy, now living in California. Right away, as I saw his e-ml address, I contacted him --- I could imagine the big surprise he got at me "appearing" out of the blue. We have been in regular contact ever since; indeed, we have met in Belfast on about six occasions. I had not checked the RUSHLIGHT site for a long time, but something made me do so the other day. Then I decided to let you all know how the magazine worked for me.

All the Best, Joe ---- Keep up the good work, --- Brian McKenna

Re: THE WONDER OF RUSHLIGHT

That's a real nice story and it reflects what "Rushlight" is all about. Bringing forth the characteristics of the homeland and its characters within. Making the world much smaller for all those that have lost connections with friends and loved ones. Not to mention the great history lessons that the boul Joe presents from time to time, the chance to air opinions and enjoy the jokes the jokers throws at us (or recently not!!!). Truly a great site appreciated by many. Keep up the good work Joe, our "Rushlight Icon"

Yes, Rusty, I agree with you. I really enjoy reading the history of Belfast. I personally don't know the city but can imagine that my ancestors walked the streets of Belfast at one time. I also miss the Joker's jokes. He or she does keep us waiting in suspense at times. Keep up the good work Joe. I know this isn't in Belfast but do you have any history on Ballyknock, about 30 miles south of Belfast? Can any of the readers tell me of this tiny place?

Thank you for the nice comments Brian , Rusty and Nell I'm glad you enjoy the site .
As for Ballyknock Nell, it seems to be a townland between Hillborough and Lisburn, Being a townland it has no centre , like village and that, a very rural place.

Thanks for the information, Joe. I guess that's why I couldn't find a village. Maybe someday I will get to visit the place and see if for myself.

Hi Nell,
So it's Ballyknock you'd be looking for! Well there you go, Joe has told you where to go. There's so many ballywhatyoumaycallits in Ireland they tell me now they are going to auction off one Ballywhatever every St. Paddys day. Less confusion that way. The opposing clans will be fiercely bidding for territory and a voice bellowing in the background "not an inch, we will not flinch". Well there you go, That's what the fairies have been telling me anyway and they are wiser than us because they stay well hidden in cold weather. Talking about cold weather. I found the secret to happiness. They make millions selling books on how to be happy and most of them are not worth the paper its printed on. Here's what you do. You put on your winter gear and go for a half hour walk in extremely cold weather and when you get back home, get your gear off saying "God, IT'S GREAT TO BE HOME AGAIN" and sit down to a hot bowl of chicken soup with crackers and watch Tom & Gerry beat the cr*p out of each other you'll be the happiest person in the world. Go ahead try it, humour me. When my lights and heat went off for 4 days over Christmas We
were so happy when it came back on. Remember the old saying "you must know sorrow before you know happiness" There you go, Have a good weekend and don't let the dogs bite.

Great website great magazine . keep her lit Joe