Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
old falls peel st photo of sarah colon

Hello Joe hope all well with you and anne
ive been ask if you have a photo of sarah colon nee Maguire R.I.P. her daughter ann is looking for it it was taken back 1950'' York st it is of sarah and a girl called rosie

Re: Old Falls

hi john,my mums cousin betsy married a barney taggaret they lived in new lodge rd..he went to sea,. as well.so did a few of their sons,barney,john. my grandfather michael wylie was in the merchant navy.he live in harding st.i have his old sea books.i remember thay had relations in the lower falls.could it be the same taggarts?.

..hi ann, i had no relations in the merchant navy.but i went to sea with a john taggart from st james,he might b one of ur mums relations.also jim mc donnell from harding st.in my 1st job in belfast a davy wylie was my boss. he might have a been one of ur grandfathers relations. god bless

hi ann i came from varna st,my parents were andy n mary i think you n my sister eileen RIP, were about the same age. my brother andy was in the merchant navy. my other brother jim is in a photo with kids at corner of cyprus st, john hinds ,liam robinson,n a few others,I am doing the family tree on my aunt ria mcElvogue/nee Grimley,she lived in 35/37 varna st she died in 1958,maybe your dad would remember her n her husband Joe. nice talking to you,hope your dad is keeping well.

Hi R, Sorry its taken so long to reply. I'm seeing my dad tomorrow and will ask him about your aunt Ria. We lived in 39 Varna. Unfortunately, my mother passed away 14 years ago and she lived with her grandmother in 39 Varna. Her grandmother's name was Hannah Hillman. Mum's maiden name was Robinson. Her parents died when she was young. Get back to you shortly. The photo you refer to was one my dad took and my two brothers are in it, Sam and Robert Delaney.
Regards, Ann Delaney

Hi R,
My dad tells me your aunt Ria lived next door (37) to where he eventually lived, No. 39. Her husband was killed in a railway accident in the early 50's. Her brother lived with her there and lived there after she died.
Good luck with your research,
Ann D

Ann D
Hi R,
My dad tells me your aunt Ria lived next door (37) to where he lived, No. 39. Her husband was killed in a railway accident in the early 50's. Her brother lived with her there and lived there after she died.
Good luck with your research,
Ann D

R Fennell
hi ann i came from varna st,my parents were andy n mary i think you n my sister eileen RIP, were about the same age. my brother andy was in the merchant navy. my other brother jim is in a photo with kids at corner of cyprus st, john hinds ,liam robinson,n a few others,I am doing the family tree on my aunt ria mcElvogue/nee Grimley,she lived in 35/37 varna st she died in 1958,maybe your dad would remember her n her husband Joe. nice talking to you,hope your dad is keeping well.

hi r fennel did the family mcElvogue come from drum glass dungannon

Hi R, My dad, Sam Delaney, was asking after your father, Andy.
Regards, Ann D

Hi ann thanks for the info on my aunt Ria,my dad died 1993 n mom 1980.its great you still have your dad with you, give him our best wishes n god bless. R

Hi theresa my uncle Joe McElvogue came from
Cookstown Co Tyrone.

CHARLEY McKIBBEN FOUND £50 AND LOST IT.
Some years ago a Pound Loney man by the name of Charlie McKibben was walking down College Street with his hands dug deep in his pockets, this was the 1950’s and like most men Charlie had been out of work for a long time,and had gone for a “wee Dander” to pass the day.He kicked the folded big white enevelope that lay on the pavement in front of him and was curious as to the weight of it, glancing round to see that no one was watching he bent and picked it up,he opened it and couldn’t believe his luck. .inside was 5 crisp $10 notes. he slipped it into his pocket and turned to make his way back to the Pound Loney. What a God send,he thought,I’ll have a few “Yard and a Halves” in McCorry’s and a bet at “Blink” McCloskeys”, his fist tightened round the roll of money in his pocket as he thanked God for his windfall. He walked up Albert Street by Quadrant Street and Brook Street and as he got to McAleese Pawnshop a group of women whom he recognised as neighbours were comforting this woman who lived only a few doors from him,”Oh Mary”, he heard one woman say to her,”That terrible. .where did you lose it”?..Charley froze on the spot...”What did you lose,Mary?” he asked,Mary was crying so uncontrolably one of the other women answered for her, ”Ah,Charley,poor Mary poor Mary was going into the town to pay for her Daughter's wedding dress with money she had just borrowed from the moneylender and she lost it”. Charley’s eyebrows knitted...”Was it five crisp £10 Notes?’,Mary quietly said,”It was son. .it was!”, Charley licked his lips and gulped,he crossed his fingers while they were still in his pockets and asked, “Was it in a Big White envelope?”, Mary lifted her tear stained face and whimpered,”It was Son, I dropped it some where in Castle Street or maybe even College Street..why do you ask,Son?”. Taking the envelope from his pocket he handed it to Mary,saying,”Because I found a big white envelope with five crisp £10 notes in College Street. .and it’s got to be yours”,with that Charley turned on his heels to finish of his “Wee Dander” to kill time.. .for you see,Pound Loney people were like that.

I grew up in Ballmurphy, our next door neighbours were, the Laverys and the McDonnaughs, (not sure on spelling) my older sister was Pearl, and she sung at many places throughout Belfast, esp. with Edmund Heath/singers, dancers, etc..myself and my younger sister Josephine and brother Philip went to St. Kevins, we moved over to Turf Lodge, oh, in the 60's then moved over to England, now in USA. Putting on basic info. so that perhaps I can get great feedback. Love this site, will certainly enjoy it. And, yes, great times, great memories, they never die.

My sister Ella and her husband
john
houston lived in Varna Street at the corner of Varna, n Leeson st? I also remember Felix Robb n Tom Lappen.

Joe Graham
CHARLEY McKIBBEN FOUND £50 AND LOST IT.
Some years ago a Pound Loney man by the name of Charlie McKibben was walking down College Street with his hands dug deep in his pockets, this was the 1950’s and like most men Charlie had been out of work for a long time,and had gone for a “wee Dander” to pass the day.He kicked the folded big white enevelope that lay on the pavement in front of him and was curious as to the weight of it, glancing round to see that no one was watching he bent and picked it up,he opened it and couldn’t believe his luck. .inside was 5 crisp $10 notes. he slipped it into his pocket and turned to make his way back to the Pound Loney. What a God send,he thought,I’ll have a few “Yard and a Halves” in McCorry’s and a bet at “Blink” McCloskeys”, his fist tightened round the roll of money in his pocket as he thanked God for his windfall. He walked up Albert Street by Quadrant Street and Brook Street and as he got to McAleese Pawnshop a group of women whom he recognised as neighbours were comforting this woman who lived only a few doors from him,”Oh Mary”, he heard one woman say to her,”That terrible. .where did you lose it”?..Charley froze on the spot...”What did you lose,Mary?” he asked,Mary was crying so uncontrolably one of the other women answered for her, ”Ah,Charley,poor Mary poor Mary was going into the town to pay for her Daughter's wedding dress with money she had just borrowed from the moneylender and she lost it”. Charley’s eyebrows knitted...”Was it five crisp £10 Notes?’,Mary quietly said,”It was son. .it was!”, Charley licked his lips and gulped,he crossed his fingers while they were still in his pockets and asked, “Was it in a Big White envelope?”, Mary lifted her tear stained face and whimpered,”It was Son, I dropped it some where in Castle Street or maybe even College Street..why do you ask,Son?”. Taking the envelope from his pocket he handed it to Mary,saying,”Because I found a big white envelope with five crisp £10 notes in College Street. .and it’s got to be yours”,with that Charley turned on his heels to finish of his “Wee Dander” to kill time.. .for you see,Pound Loney people were like that.
Great wee story Joe ,I love hearing stories about the POUND LONEY ,as I lived there ,and not far from MC CURRYS pub corner of Baker st and Blinks bookies corner of Cullingtree rd and Albert st .

there you go. I get into a banter with Desi and it turns out he's my neighbour. Small world.Thats us loney ones. Have a nice day Desi

yes I agreeg the pawn shop on monday was the norm, i also worked at greaves mill in my first year after leaving school ( milford st)1958. but it seem that we who left old belfast seem to relise what we had in the GOOD OLD DAYS, they were great days for me,

mitchels lived in no1 their da was a seaman

mitchels lived in no1 varna st their da was a seaman

Rose Fitzpatrick my Gran minded me every day not a day goes past dont miss her x

Roberta, I remember when Rosie's son called in to our house in 39 Varna to say that Rosie had passed away. I was only 11 or so but I mourned her very much. I loved going into her house and listen to my mother and her talk. And I can remember when she died, her coffin in the living room. It was hard to comprehend. Oh Roberta, I can remember now. You were only a child yourself weren't you. I have a lovely photo of her and my mother outside their houses which I will endeavour to send to Rushlight. Regards, Ann Delaney

yes me Uncle Johnny'S Son and Ella moved in2 me Grans they were a lovely couple Johns DAD AND ME GRAN Where Brother n Sister they lived ajacant 2 us in Abyssinia x

ME AUNT Rita lived in fam, home in lady st, she used 2 sing only the loney lools x

An interesting thread.

ANNE ME GOT A THICK EAR FROM MR GRAHAM LOL ME GONNA TELL ME MUM THAT SORT HIM OUT LOL X

IT KILLS ME 2 GO 2 GRAVE IT DONT GET EASIER X

ANNE WHEN KAY DIED HAD A DOUBLE WHAMMY THATS ALL I CAN SAY ITS GOOD 2 SEE YOU OK LONG TIME LOL 4 GIVE ME GOING IN2 TXT MODE.. ME IN ME 2ND CHILDHOOD HA X ME WELL AND HAPPY SO R THE KIDS N GRANDKIDS ONCE THEY GET RID OF ME THAT IS LOL MUCH LOVE FROM ME XXX

yes

Roberta, how are you now. I remember you as a child {we both were then}. I never heard about Kay or any of the Fitzpatrick's futures. But I will always remember Rosie, a good friend of my, very young at the time, mother. Rosie died before we went to Australia but she knew my parents were planning to go. I'm glad we didn't have to go through the sad farewells. I hope you and your family are well and happy. I remember a saying my aunt Mary used to quote, 'ach, don't worry; you're a long time lookin at the lid'!

Re: Old Falls family

Hi Roberta, I don't know if you remember me. I'm Terry Fitzpatricks daughter Briege (your cousin).
I've been trying to find you for a while ,Maybe you would like to have a chat sometime.
If you want to get in touch I'll send you my email address.
Briege

What a great thread Ann D.