Return to Website

Sombero Brothers Forum

Welcome to the Sombrero Brothers Forum hosted by Christopher Laro.  Here we will discuss weight training, fitness, nutrition and supplements.  Christopher may be reached via email at:

christopher@sombero-brothers.com.

Sombero Brothers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PROPER FORM FOR BACK TRAINING

Ellen sent me a question regarding lower back pain. I want to further add some vital do's and don't about form when doing back exercises such as -

* Lat Pulldowns - be sure to NEVER rock back and forth too much when pulling down the weight stack. Keep your upper torso locked and steady and slowly pull the bar down to the center of your chest for a rep. Keep weight medium range and pay attention to slow rep form NOT yanking up and down!

* Seated back rows - same thing here. Don't fall into the trap of rocking back and forth to pull stack. Keep upper torso upright and secure and slowly pull the bar to your waist for a rep. For more info on proper forms for reps, seek advice with your gym's trainer.

Golden Rule for everyone should be to wear your work out belt all the time, unless you just don't prefer too. I strongly urge all gym rats to wear one as many injuries can occur w/out it. Key to back movements is to make sure you thoroughly stretched on floor, or on roman chair and/or hyper-extension stand (a reverse sit up to stretch you lower back.

Only YOU can tell if your back is just sore or actually injured in some way. Ask your doctor if pain is chronic and intense. Or, simply rest from the gym a while or stop back exercises until muscles heal.

Remember: form is everything.

Wolf Laro

Re: PROPER FORM FOR BACK TRAINING

I think I'll stick with the pull downs rather than the pull ups at this point. I know I won't be able to keep my back straight at this point for the pull ups. Great advice!!!

Thank you soooo much. Now, when I go to the gym I can use another machine and maybe it will make a difference. Good to know a real weightlifter!!!!!!

Elle