Return to Website

Sombero Brothers Forum

Welcome to the Sombrero Brothers Forum hosted by Christopher Laro.  Here we will discuss weight training, fitness, nutrition and supplements.  Christopher may be reached via email at:

christopher@sombero-brothers.com.

Sombero Brothers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
THREE WAYS TO IMPROVE SPOTTING!

THREE WAYS TO IMPROVE YOUR 'SPOTTING' TECHNIQUE
by Wolfman Laro
Sombrero-brothers.com
Aug 21, 2006

Hey guys, Wolfman Laro here with more helpful gym tips you may find useful. Perhaps the most important position in a gym (other than being top dog for heavy presses) is, the spotter.

Like a well disciplined and vigilant co-pilot, a spotter is your key wing man when it comes to training vicious! More than just a pair of hands to help you rep out, your faithful gym partner and loyal spotter is also, a guardian angel.

Note: The perfect spot involves a dead lift grip on the bar (one palm up, the other down) for the lift off and both hands inches off the bar during the rep, as a guide in case of failure. See pics at website for more detail. Spotting is an exact science and should be practiced until perfected.

TIP #1. (guardian 'iron' angel)

My partner Don (Big Daddy D.) is a perfect co-pilot and trusted angel when I lift hard and heavy on the decline press. Key to being an expert spotter involves three factors:

* patience

* fearlessness

* honesty

PATIENCE.

Patience isn't only a virtue but also an honored necessity for heavy training. Being calm and supportive while standing above the bar (you under it) is a must. The spotter has to be someone willing to let you rep out and struggle without helping too much with the press. Patience and balance go together meaning he must wait and see how strong you'll be with any single rep while also having a healthy sense of balance if he does help. Just enough of a lift with both hands to keep the bar moving north NOT south. And ALWAYS making you work for the rep the whole way. If a spotter tugs too hard on the lift, it'll throw off your rep form and mental focus. The perfect spot is one whereby a rep is aided slightly (if at all) allowing the presser to feel safe and secure if something goes wrong.

FEARLESSNESS

When going heavy with chest press (flats and declines particularly) a good dose of courage is essential. Heroic acts demand both selflessness and bravery and with spotting, this angelic soldier MUST possess both to enhance his fearless nature. When I'm under the decline bar with 350-377- lbs over my head, if I don't completely trust my spotter, I can't attempt any kind of rep at that weight. I always know in my bones that Don is there to guard me no matter the result of the set. And if the bar does go south, he'll be the one to haul it up and re-rack the bar. A spotter has to have the same level of fearlessness of the weight you'll press that you have. Kinda' like Capt Ahab pursuing the great white whale Moby Dick! The connection at the bar is a partnership of trust and faith in the pursuit of one and only one goal - rep out north! SLAY THE WHALE. Up and up the weight must go as both of you (like a shared brain obsessed) work together to make the perfect rep.

HONESTY

Your spotter must be a man of truth. Truth relating to whether or not you made the press yourself without his help. You've heard the words before I'm sure if you spent one hardcore hour in any gym - 'did I get it myself or did'ja help me?' A great spotter will not ever lie regardless of a rep. But he also must temper the truth with a positive rally cry to try again, if the rep fails and goes south. It's okay not to make the rep, long as your spotter makes you struggle through it while cheering you on to do better next time. If he helps a little, he must admit it. If you made the rep without any lifting on his part, he must admit that. And if you just couldn't do a legit rep at all, he has to be honest enough to tell you, 'not that time m'friend. But you'll get it next set.'

Like any benevolent guardian angel your spotter is your best friend and confidante in the gym. The only other person besides yourself who understands what your personal goals are and how much you wish to push passed limitations. So work out with someone who can be your twin of attainment as you quest for greater strength and power day after day.

TIP #2. (ritual lover)

What does that mean? Your spotter must be a man who understands the power of,

* o.c.d.

* superstition

* 'old dog' habits

O.C.D.

'Obsessive compulsive disorder' (or the need for specific control based on a variety of physical or mental choreographies) is the most pervasive ritual for all serious heavy training. Like a typical ball player at the plate displaying his brand of tics and jerks, bat flipping, kleet scraping, glove snapping, spitting and eye blinking madness, so too do we iron wolves, go through our own personal rituals before a press. What these voluntary movements and breathing do is instill a basis for security and confidence just before a heavy rep. Here's what I normally do and don't laugh.

I usually sit atop the decline bench stretching out both arms and pounding my upper pecs (where most of the pressure rests on) with two fists in a Kong like w