Return to Website

Sombero Brothers Forum

Welcome to the Sombrero Brothers Forum hosted by Christopher Laro.  Here we will discuss weight training, fitness, nutrition and supplements.  Christopher may be reached via email at:

christopher@sombero-brothers.com.

Sombero Brothers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Part II of 'SPOTTING' IMPROVES

O.C.D.

'Obsessive compulsive disorder' (or the need for specific control based on a variety of physical or mental choreographies) is the most pervasive ritual for all serious heavy training. Like a typical ball player at the plate displaying his brand of tics and jerks, bat flipping, kleet scraping, glove snapping, spitting and eye blinking madness, so too do we iron wolves, go through our own personal rituals before a press. What these voluntary movements and breathing do is instill a basis for security and confidence just before a heavy rep. Here's what I normally do and don't laugh.

I usually sit atop the decline bench stretching out both arms and pounding my upper pecs (where most of the pressure rests on) with two fists in a Kong like way. I then rub my hands together vigorously blowing air between the palms. Then, I slowly lay down under the bar and secure my ankles under the foot pads. Now, here's where the o.c.d. ritual really begins! I first blow more air onto both palms (to dry sweat) and search for the perfect grip on either end of the bar. I listen to Don's words of encouragement while I do this and continue blowing air into my plams until I finally let my grip search end. I raise my neck and arch my back several times while breathing slow then fast repeatedly, until I am poised and ready for the press. I may, even when I am comfortable at this time, let go the bar and search once more for the best grip. Next, I employ a quick visualization exercise seeing my arms, forearms, upper chest and abdomen as one solid piece of blazing steel! Eventually, I feel confident enough to begin my countdown and on THREE, Don lifts the bar off the rack and I go for the best rep I can muster.

Whew! Yes, I do admit I have a form of severe o.c.d. diagnosed years ago. But it's not a disability in any way. It IS however, a blessing and enables me through fierce concentration and motivated thought processes, prepare my body and mind for heavy pressing. It serves me, this madness of the mind. So whatever YOU require to prepare yourself to go heavy for chest, I suggest you use it. As I said in the e-book BI-POLAR, 40 & FITNESS many times, I will employ whatever energies, mental strategies, obsessions etc to help me push a great rep, half or full. Back to the point here: your spotter ( also a man of o.c.d.) will wait patiently for you to finish your ritual so that together, you can make your rep.

SUPERSTITION

I've never been a man of superstition. I've been spooked by certain things in life but not to the point where I avoid black cats or things like that. My spotter Don and I do, however, use certain tricks of 'mind' before we rep out. For example: I may count ceiling tile a few times just before my chest press or maybe think about emptying my mind, so that I can better focus on good positive thoughts. I might even give my spotter a certain confident glance before a rep and so on and so on. A good spotter too, must accept this routine of yours and also, possess his own form of superstitious ritual of the mind, i.e. speaking to you of the same supportive phrases every time you are about to rep. Like,

"c'mon steel man, this is nuthin' but a toothpick!"

"you don't make this rep brother, I'll burn your friggin' car!"

"I heard your girlfriend is really a guy."

"Let''s go wolfman, lemme' hear ya' HOWL this ****ed weight up!"

"That pretty girl over there is watchin' you brother so ya' better put this up!"

You get the idea right?

One doesn't need a rabbit's foot or lucky charm, amulet, blessing from above, magic potion or a jini's bottle. Just conjure the self-will and moxie to press heavy with your faithful spotter above your head guiding you to success.

'OLD DOG' HABITS

And they never ever die do they? They can be as clinging as thorn bushes yet more beneficial. Habits, o.c.d. ritual, superstition are all the same concept - getting rid of fear. Once fear has vanished, success is around the corner waving it's white flag of defeat. For a spotter, he must understand these realities of his partner (as he has the same rituals but differently manifested) and tolerate them as if they were his own. Quid pro quo man, I do for you as you do for me kinda thing. Your spotter MUST know the best time to help you come to the bench and perform your reps, as he observes your rituals. I know for myself, that I love to do upright push-ups far away from the decline bar, followed by shoulder and triceps stretches along a silver cable bar and a twisting shake side to side until I feel secure enough to go press. I can honestly say that I never NOT do that or any of the above rituals prior to decline pressing. Ol' dog habits ne're die!

So to all ye' spotters out there (*myself included) I say unto you, show patience and eager tolerance as your partner readies himself to lift heavy and train vicious!

TIP #3. (reluctant babysitter & priest)

There are times when even the