Return to Website

Sombero Brothers Forum

Welcome to the Sombrero Brothers Forum hosted by Christopher Laro.  Here we will discuss weight training, fitness, nutrition and supplements.  Christopher may be reached via email at:

christopher@sombero-brothers.com.

Sombero Brothers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WOLFMAN PRESSES 395LBS!

'IRON WOLF' LARO PRESSED 395LBS ON THE DECLINE!

This week Monday I felt a surge of moxie and nitro-DESIRE to attempt the golden sombrero! After going through my chest press progression making reps at 365, 375, 385 and fighting through 390 for a single half rep, I moved on to 395 and then 400lbs.

It took me three times to finally press 395, having failed twice and on the third attempt w/ my gym partner Don James behind me for support, fought thru a whopping sticking point and went North with the bar! That 395 rep was perhaps one of the best reps I ever had int the gym whereby one would think once the bar paused, it'd either remain in inertia or go south. But I made the rep. A watershed moment for the Iron Wolf. At less than 180lbs I pressed almost 400lbs.

Soon after the 395, I loaded the decline bar with 400lbs, the Golden Sombrero I had been chasing for six months. Truthfully, holding 400lbs, as I've said before, is like holding the moon. This time, however, it felt more reasonable and I managed two attempts. Failed on both. And on the last try. pressed the Sombrero for just more than a quarter rep but not a full or half rep by any means. yet, a new bar was set for my personal best - to finally rep out on 400lbs for a more legit half rep. The quarter rep didn't count and shouldn't. I was too tired by that point (too many heavy loaded sets) and my body just wasn't ready to manage that weight.

Moral of this tale is this:

NEVER EVER QUIT till you make the **** rep! There's nothing so satisfying than fighting your way thru a sticking point and keeping the bar going north. Feels better than if the rep goes up like a toothpick. My new objective is still the 400lbs and after that will be 405lbs, w/ eight Olympic plates on the decline bar. For now I'll hold my head up high knowing I conquered 390-395lbs as I continue my quest for the golden sombrero!

Chris I.W. Laro