Aboutjoints Discussion Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

This forum is maintained and moderated by Debi Ross, Orthopedic Web Coordinator (dross2@jhmi.edu). Please contact this individual if you want changes made to an existing post. changed.

For previous posts, please visit previous message boardYOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ON THE PREVIOUS MESSAGE BOARD. Any post should be posted below.

Aboutjoints Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ACL Reconstruction and OATS

Hello,

I'd be grateful for advice.

I'm due to undergo ACL reconstruction as a result of a missing ACL, but also have a thinning of the medial meniscus on the same knee and therefore some narrowing of the joint space medially with some early osteophyte formation. I am 35 and in good health, and was wondering if there would be benefit in undergoing OATS as a complimentary procedure, as I have been advised that the ACL recon will not prevent any degeneration of the cartialage.

Please note that I am not medically trained, and the above is the diagnosis of the consultant who will be performing my ACL reconstruction. I can provide more information if required, but have read through the evaluation guides and the pre-op conditions appear to be met. Laymans level advice (if possible) would be very much appreciated!!

Paul