Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
the thruppenny bit

hi we lived at the top of the lane on the 3 D bit our house backed on to mackeys- does anyone remember it some of our neighbours were the Ralphs mcmullans crossans shannons
brendan
imbpso@yahoo.com

Re: the thruppenny bit

I remember a family called Russell who lived in the thrupenny bit, there was Jackie, and Joe, they went to St John's School at Colinward Street.

Yeah Brendan we lived in 32 at the bottom of the lane that went up to the 3d bit I will be seeing my sister Ann tomorra and no doubt her and Marie relf and Theresa mc corry will be onto you soom

hi brendan new your sister who went around with one of the mc canns across the way from you a lot of bungalows ones on here including joes wife anne regards
theresa

Hello Brendan. I remember your family well, in fact I used to play as a child with your sister Nora. Evelyn Cooley and the Smart's lived beside you.
Hello Geordie and Theresa,

Hello Ann,Brendan do u have a brother called John I think we were in the same class at st johns

Hi Brendan, my sister Eileen and myself were friends with Nora and Brigit. We lived at No 141
I remember the the Thruppenny Bit-fond memories of playing out there at night and swinging on that old gas light!

hi ann how are you . great to see a lot of old neigbours on here people you think you will never hear of again the pc has open things for a lot of people take care
Theresa xx

hi brendan, my brother geordie and i lived at 32 b/bungalows.at the bottom of the lane.i remember all the families you mention.do you remember rubby dub dub,he was the watchman from mackies and he chased
all the kids.im in touch with marie relf,her sisters anna and loretta were over a few weeks ago from england and we all met up. do you remember theresa mc curry from no 31? i played skips with your sisters nora and bridget.have a good christmas.ann x

Mary and Eileen McCann,I remember your mother well, a lovely woman, my mother and your mother, Annie I recall was her name,were good friends.

The railings put up between Mackies field and the bungalows and the employment of a watch man was a sad reminder of the little child who wandered into the field and drowned in the dam there in the late 1950's.
Mackies attempted to disclaim any resposibility by claiming the ground was not theirs but when it was discovered that some years earlier they had claimed 'squatters' rights to the land in an earlier court they lost their case and they were fined heavily and so were forced to erect that fence.

My mum was lovely-she died 11 years ago. My sister Ann remembers your mum well-she said she was great and still remembers her giving her bacon and eggs when her and mum dropped in to see her.