Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Old Markets Resdients

I was born and reared in Little May street by my Grandmother Maggie Mc Dermott as was my cousin Marie Conlon my Granny had 6 children now all dead Katleen Joey Margaret Frankie Bernadette Colette we lived beside the cat and dog home we moved to dermott hill in the seventies but you cant beat the market people I live in Newry now but I always make a trip down memory lane when I come up with my family.

Re: Old Markets Resdients

i lived beside your family i knew them all peggy was married to a barman i cant remember his name your uncle joey had grey hounds. we lived on the corner of seymour st i also knew the moors,roseanne was the mother and i remember lily who went to live in the states but came back home she had a daughter

Hi Fish my aunt bernie was married to the barman he worked in mc meel's my mother was peggy i remember most of the neighbours in the street there were the madines,knockers,dalys,leavys,crawfords,denvirs,brennans,dobbins,mcallisters,careys,mcgornans,carsons,hobans,craigs,kirbys,moores and there was the sharps of seymour st i loved the markets good solid neighbours cant find good neighbours anymore.

I lived in Seymour Street and remember a lot of those names. I remember Joey walking the greyhounds. Hobans lived in Little May Street as well

Would anyone have remembered the McKay family they used to live in Eliza Street?

Hi C Do you remember the Harland Twins who lived in Joy Street they were cousins of the Hobans they live beside me now in Newry.

Margaret Coleman Mc Evoy
Hi C Do you remember the Harland Twins who lived in Joy Street they were cousins of the Hobans they live beside me now in Newry.

Vaguely as I ran around with Paul Hoben and also the Sturgeons from Joy Street, Tony and Tom. The Leathems lived beside me.

Hi C I chumed with Linda Leathem and Maura Hoben who are u ?

Margaret Coleman Mc Evoy
Hi C I chumed with Linda Leathem and Maura Hoben who are u ?

John Leathem was my friend although I am the same age as Linda. I lived in Number 10 Seymour Street and they lived in number 14 with Wilsons in between. Mc Brides lived around the corner from us in Gloucester Street

Hi C Do you remember Miss Higgins she lived in the last house across from the school and i think Murrays live next door to the Wilsons did you also know John Magee and the Sharps who lived in Seymour St.
I worked in Ferris Newsagents after school and Joe's ice cream shop in cromac st do you still live at the markets.

Margaret Coleman Mc Evoy
Hi C Do you remember Miss Higgins she lived in the last house across from the school did you also know John Magee and the Sharps who lived in Seymour St

Yes I remember Mary Higgins very well as she lived next door. She had a big Tree growing in her back yard that her cats loved. She was my Fathers God Mother. I also knew John Magee, He lived beside the USPCA. I think he lived alone and then moved up the Ormeau Road

Yes John moved behind the bakery I see Bernie wilson a lot as she has a house in Omeath her Michael also opened a sweet shop in Newry as well he use to work in his uncle stall in the market Jimmy Deighan but the market her has died over the years so thet dont come anymore

Margaret Coleman Mc Evoy
Yes John moved behind the bakery I see Bernie wilson a lot as she has a house in Omeath her Michael also opened a sweet shop in Newry as well he use to work in his uncle stall in the market Jimmy Deighan but the market her has died over the years so thet dont come anymore

I havent seen Bernie in a while but I have seen Angela and Stella whose husband died a while back. We were all at a Seymour Street reunion a few years ago in Mc Guinness bar. Also at a party for John Leathem. I am still in contact with John on a regular basis and see Barbara, Geoff and Madeline Leathem often. Micky Hoben lives up beside me in Poleglass. My mother used to clean that school facing us when it was a youth club with youth leaders Joe Hanratty, Beaver Mc Garry, Bobby Barr and Joker Carville among others

I think i know who you are i used to collect the silver circle money for St Malachy's where you an only child. How is Michael Hoban his cousins live beside me in Newry the Harland Twins from Joy St their brother Bobby died a few weeks ago from Grace St. My mother lved in Twinbrook.

Margaret Coleman Mc Evoy
I think i know who you are i used to collect the silver circle money for St Malachy's where you an only child. How is Michael Hoban his cousins live beside me in Newry the Harland Twins from Joy St their brother Bobby died a few weeks ago from Grace St. My mother lved in Twinbrook.

Ha Ha yes you have guessed right, you know who I am now. Michael lives in a wee fold up here and is doing well. I heard about Bobby , I think it was around October

was your mum called Sally

Margaret Coleman Mc Evoy
was your mum called Sally

Yes but now sadly passed away nearly four years ago. We were the last ones to leave Seymour Street in March 1984 and my Mother and Father moved to Poleglass

I am sorry to hear that. My mother was 6 years dead in November and my dad was 4 years in October do you like Poleglass my younger sister lives in Glenbawn and the rest of the family lives in Twinbrook and Lagmore

Margaret Coleman Mc Evoy
I am sorry to hear that. My mother was 6 years dead in November and my dad was 4 years in October do you like Poleglass my younger sister lives in Glenbawn and the rest of the family lives in Twinbrook and Lagmore

Yes my Father was three years dead in October. I dont mind it it. I live in Laurelbank so it is quiet enough. There are a lot of Market people up in and around these areas. Some of the Donnollys fro Joy Street are up here as well. Unfortunately the Market is a different place now. Even the top end of Seymour Street is covered over by the Telephone House

The Donnellys lived beside mummy. The Markets has changed so much I always go for a walk around it when I go up and I always go to St Malachys it is lovely from it was done up my cousin ashes is in one of the vaults do you remember him Jim Madine he moved to the Ormeau Road when he got married.

Margaret Coleman Mc Evoy
The Donnellys lived beside mummy. The Markets has changed so much I always go for a walk around it when I go up and I always go to St Malachys it is lovely from it was done up my cousin ashes is in one of the vaults do you remember him Jim Madine he moved to the Ormeau Road when he got married.

Yes I remember the Madines. I remember the Old Canon from St Malachys coming around visiting the houses in the Sixties and always falling asleep. Years ago I remember my Father graining the big doors at the front of the chapel before it was done up.I have not been in it lately as I think the last time was for John Leathem's Father. John was actually at my daughters wedding a couple of years ago in the Canal Court in Newry. I often walk by the Street and look down and the only thing left is the lamp post that was outside our door.

Our house is gone the extension of telephone is built on it i loved the markets and the people who lived there they were neighbours then it is hard to get good ones now. It has been lovely talking to you but bed is calling babysitting tomorrow will talk again soon.

hi margaret i as you see am olive sharp from seymour st .say hello from me to all the wilsons i knew them i have been home a lot in the last two years to downpatrick and kilkeel,when in belfast i always have a walk round the market as you said nothing the same its not so much because of the new houses but all the old people have gone its like a different place

olive sharp
hi margaret i as you see am olive sharp from seymour st .say hello from me to all the wilsons i knew them i have been home a lot in the last two years to downpatrick and kilkeel,when in belfast i always have a walk round the market as you said nothing the same its not so much because of the new houses but all the old people have gone its like a different place

Angela Wilson is still working around the Market but there is nothing in Seymour St that vaguely resembles its old self

Hi Olive How are you we were just taking about your mother the other day we were thinking of the good times we had in Little May st when we used to play in the high windows in the telephone house and you mum would tell us of for climbing they were great times. Where are you living now?

my mother was mckay she lived at number 64 eliza street. opposite inglis bakery.

Re: old markets residents.crankles

my mother was mc kay she lived at number 64 eliza street.opposite inglis bakery.

Hi Raymond I remember a girl called Molly Mc Kay she went about with my late aunt colette

My gran lived in Keegan street my mum was Marie McMcGrady she was a cousin of Tony philemena an Lila mc evoy,grans name was kitty,anyone rem them!

Raymond do you think you could contact me, I can`t make out your e-mail address, mine is tdougan@bigpond.net.au I lost contact with Jimmy when I came to Australia, thank you.