Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Quigley / McKay Commemoration?

Hiya Joe. I have heard through the grapevine that a joint Commemoration is being planned to mark the 40th anniversary of the deaths of Vol.Jimmy Quigley and Vol. Patricia McKay. This seems very appropriate as the two were very close friends. As of yet, however, I have been unable to get any definite information on the date, etc. Anyone have any details?

Re: Quigley / McKay Commemoration?

I haven't as yet seoirse, I hear there is a commemoration coming up for "Solo!. RIP.

Thanks Joe. Yeah, I heard about the commemorative night planned for Solo. Hope it goes well. As fer the other for Tricia and Jimmy let me know if you hear anything. Congratulations on the FB Page. Looks great, though I have not had time yet to check it out in detail. Will do so soon. All the best to you and yours!

According to information I recieved a couple of days ago from a close friend of Tricia and Jimmy the joint Commemoration is to be held Sunday 30 September at 1:00 PM. The families will unveil a plaque in their memory in Ross Road, Belfast. It is to be a non-Party Politcal event, but all are welcome to attend. The families wish to remember Tricia and Jimmy as two young friends who both lost their lives that day in action against the British Army. Apparently more details will be published in the Andytown News this week. Hope there will be a good turnout. RIP to two brave young people.

Yes the unveiling is on Sunday the 30th in Ross Road

It is nice to hear they and all those brave people who gave their lives in the struggle for Irish freedom are being remembered.
We should never forget them.

It was a very good turn out and the Plaque looks really well. A deserving tribute.

I agree, "C". The plaque is lovely, and elegant in it's simplicity. Also historic, for as far as I know it is the only one honouring jointly both a Provisional and an Official Volunteer. Very fitting given Jimmy and Tricia's close friendship and the events of that terrible day and night 40 years ago. RIP