Dillman's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Dillman's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nicholas (Nickels) Dilman from Montgomery, PA to Ontario Canada

Are you aware that at least one private family tree lists Nicholas Dillman's birthplace as Somerset, PA? I have asked the owner for more information and am waiting for a reply. Cheers, Ian

Name You Are Researching Nicholas Dillman

And I might have found "Uncle John." A history of the Bruedersthal area of Somerset County tells of a Mennonite or Quaker John Dilman who left for Canada in the 1778 - 1783 period to escape religious persecution. If this is Nicholas' uncle, then John Dilman would have a brother, Nicholas' father, perhaps from the Somerset area.

I found a referrence to this John in a History Book. He travels to Ontario with other Menninite men to prepare a place to bring their families to. Erbs or Ebbys? I had thought he was probably a relation to our Nicholas but I couldn't find any more info on John to put him with Nicholas.

I will have to go back through my books to find which one I saw it in.

Beverly

I have also seen referrence to Nicholas possibly being from Berks County but once again I have found nothing to proove that. So many ideas, so many places to search and too few clues to go by! :}

Beverly

Hi, I typed in all your information on your form on ancestry.com and found a lot of information, most of it you already know. I could not find his mother. But, it said his father's name was William Dilman. He was born in 1760. It did not have a death year. It said Nicholas moved to Whitchurch,Ontario, Canada when he was 28. I hoped I helped!

Name You Are Researching Elias Diehlman "Dillman"

Thanks, Alex.

I am quite confident that the reference to William Dilman is mere speculation based on an erroneous interpretation of the facts. I have found no documented connection between William and Nicholas.

Got to keep looking!

Ian

you should see if there is anything on ancestry.com. Hope i helped!